header selection help

Status
Not open for further replies.

bertscova

Greasemonkey
Jun 27, 2015
I've built a 383 stroker for my 79 Malibu should put out between 450 to 500 hp. I'm using the Chevrolet performance fast burn heads with angled plugs. the heads have a d-port exhaust port. I was told as long as I use a header with 1.75 in primary tube I would be ok. But what header works best with angled plugs and will work for the Malibu

bertscova

Greasemonkey
Jun 27, 2015
Also the car still has the ac box and i plan on putting the ac back together. So no ac delete

autonaut

Greasemonkey
Feb 22, 2014
450-500hp goal i'd probably sell those fastburns unless budget didnt allow any better head. AFR heads will make it easier to reach that goal without reving it to the moon..

IF you did that, and got straight plug heads, i can vouch for the hedman headers. I've used them on 2 builds and only had to dent the passenger side so far..

I've alao used older hooker super comp's with even better results. Superb fit. But i've been told the newer hookers dont offer as great fitment as the older ones.

Not much help i know. But thats all i got.

Reactions: 1 user

bertscova

Greasemonkey
Jun 27, 2015
So you are sayin these heads aren't any good. I tried to post a link to them but it wouldn't work. Just do a search for them on summitracing.com

Chevrolet Performance Fast Burn Cylinder Heads 19300955

autonaut

Greasemonkey
Feb 22, 2014
Well they're basically just aluminun versions of vortec heads which are good heads. But for a 450 hp build the difference between those heads and AFR eliminators at 1700 a pair is big in terms of power

I've myself once swiched those fastburn heads out for some trickflows that dont have equally as good a reputation as the AFR's and felt a noteable increase.

But if you're not obssesed with swueezing every last hp out of the engine perhaps there are better ways to spend the money. I was really just saying that reaching your goal would be easier with even better heads and that it would be my choice over the fastburns. But im pretty keen on trying those out as i havent yet so i am biased:)

Whatever you do dont go sell those heads based off 1 "internet expert". Google some before making your own mind.

Clarmo

Master Mechanic
Jan 29, 2016
Ottawa, Canada
I really don't think the header size matters for 450-500hp. Even smaller 1-5/8 will flow fine, (as long as they fit the head port properly) The more important part I think is size/shape of the exhaust after the headers.

383_GrandPrix

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2016
Quebec, Canada
The diameter and length of the primary tube is THE singe most important part of your exhaust system, followed by diameter and length of your collector. This is determined mostly by your cam profile as well as your stroke and bore. This is a good calculator to get a good idea as to what you need as long as you know all the specifics of your exact cam profile and where your engine is supposed to make peak torque. I've had some extensive conversations about this with an experienced racing mechanic who has worked along many of the legends in drag and motorcycle racing.

http://www.wallaceracing.com/header_length.php

• Disagree
Reactions: 1 users

Mike buttafuoco

Apprentice
Sep 27, 2016
Carlisle, pa
I've built a 383 stroker for my 79 Malibu should put out between 450 to 500 hp. I'm using the Chevrolet performance fast burn heads with angled plugs. the heads have a d-port exhaust port. I was told as long as I use a header with 1.75 in primary tube I would be ok. But what header works best with angled plugs and will work for the Malibu
I just saw on YouTube a show called engine masters with David freiburger and they did a segment all in header size and configuration. If I recall, the header size didn't make much difference until 6k and up. My car runs a set of tuned hooker super comps and in my opinion, they were a waste of money($800) but I didn't buy them. And they have the last primary tube over the frame rail so your turning sux. I am going to fix that if the car doesn't sell. IMHO, 1-5/8" 1-3/4" will do fine at your power level and a street 383 should not realistically see over 6k anyway. Unless the motor is built for it. And I agree with the aluminum head statement. I built my last one with Brodix IK200 cylinder heads from competition products for $1000. And that car put 430 to the wheels with a mild cam. do what you want and what the wallet allows but again, aluminum heads that breathe but should be the first choice.

• Agree

Mike buttafuoco

Apprentice
Sep 27, 2016
Carlisle, pa
The diameter and length of the primary tube is THE singe most important part of your exhaust system, followed by diameter and length of your collector. This is determined mostly by your cam profile as well as your stroke and bore. This is a good calculator to get a good idea as to what you need as long as you know all the specifics of your exact cam profile and where your engine is supposed to make peak torque. I've had some extensive conversations about this with an experienced racing mechanic who has worked along many of the legends in drag and motorcycle racing.

http://www.wallaceracing.com/header_length.php
I definitely agree however, and this is a guess, your racing friend probably had and built engines that were way beyond his expected power level and when you are racing, ever bit of hp and torque counts. Whereas, most of us street guys want what works and gives us the best bang for the buck. Atleast that's me.

383_GrandPrix

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2016
Quebec, Canada
I definitely agree however, and this is a guess, your racing friend probably had and built engines that were way beyond his expected power level and when you are racing, ever bit of hp and torque counts. Whereas, most of us street guys want what works and gives us the best bang for the buck. Atleast that's me.

Absolutely, I got a little carried away. Unfortunately in our positions we are limited by space, price, and what is available. Make your calculations and buy the closest thing you can afford/find.

• Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor