Headers For "Odd" Engine Swap

Status
Not open for further replies.

500/600

Royal Smart Person
Nov 17, 2018
West Virginia
I guess I will spend the extra $50 and go with the Hedman's. Thank for all your input. As for the color, it was just the closest to Olds gold I could find at auto zone. As for the carb, I saw plenty of good reviews for the AVS2 - I wanted to go with a quadrajet - but decided against it for whatever reason.

there is nothing wrong with an edelbrock carb. better that a Quadrajet and eerily similar at the same time. Very tunable, especially the AVS.

Reactions: 1 user

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Have you ran the compression numbers? Which "flat tops" did you use? Which head gasket? FelPros are .041 thick as opposed to the factory .017, so that kills some off there.

kygaca

Apprentice
Jul 3, 2018
Annapolis, MD
So I used the speed pro L2320F-30 I believe, and it was bored 30 over. I used FelPro gasket so I guess I am better off. I am not sure of the numbers but using: 4.087 Bore, 3.385 Stroke, 69 cc head volume (found online), .025 deck clearance (?), and .04 thickness gasket it seems like I am 9.77:1 which is lower than I thought. I guess I will be able to use 91 instead of 93?

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
You should e fine, and I bet it'll run better than you're expecting. I do think 850 might be a tad on the large side for a carb, though.

Do you know how much piston to bore clearance you have? It's a common problem on those pistons; TRW supplies a spec of .002-.0025, but it needs to be .003-.004. Usual symptoms are cooked oil and high operating temps.

kygaca

Apprentice
Jul 3, 2018
Annapolis, MD
No I have no clue, I guess I will just run a big radiator and try to find out how to run an oil cooler? I realize the 850 is on the large side but I had heard somewhere that the W-30 had a big carb and big valves so I tried to have a similar build style, but went with a more modern cam.

I am hoping it runs better than I expect, this has really been a long time coming and I really regret buying the engine - bought it when I was 16, I am 19 next week... but I have come too far. Worst financial mistake ever but I see the light at the end of the tunnel.

I will keep you guys updated.

500/600

Royal Smart Person
Nov 17, 2018
West Virginia
Your 800 is only as large as secondary air valve tension is set to.

Reactions: 1 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
If you have 93 octane and keep your timing conservative, you should be fine. The duration is 224/230 correct? Not a small cam for a 350, it should help. Yeah the 6cc Speed Pro or better yet Mahle 10cc ultra modern forged piston with a taller compression height would have been better, probably would have allowed mid grade with the Mahle piston. Olds like big carbs, if your 850 is tuned to your motor, it will run fine. Let us know how that carb works overall. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor