Headers Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbooker

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 20, 2013
kenosha wi
Hey guys.....another question....this time about headers....
i noticed that there are different sizes for headers. what is the
size for a 87 monte carlo g body? thanks

MightyCarlo86

Greasemonkey
Dec 15, 2012
I bought a set of Hooker competition headers 2466-HKR with 1 5/8 primaries and didn't have to make any modifications and they fit great. I have pics in my photo gallery on how they fit. One issue I am not sure about is I don't have any A/C or emissions equipment so I am not sure how the clearances would work out on your car.

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
More HP bigger headers - 1 5/8 more than enough for stock. Might consider aluma coated headers.

Attachments

• IMG_4350.JPG
    IMG_4350.JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 771

dbooker

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 20, 2013
kenosha wi
My car doesnt have the stock 305 in it....it is a after market rebuilt 350...

would that make a differeance?

thanks

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
Unless your making a lot of HP - NO. I was running 11.30's and switched from 1 5/8's to 1 3/4 and did see any change. If you want to get the most out of the headers you buy and willing to pay more, google header design and see the difference in scavaging - stepped - and merge collector headers. I like Schoenfeld headers for the best bang for the buck but they usually don't come with header flanges.

spidereyes455

G-Body Guru
Mar 6, 2013
Northeastern PA
1 5/8's is pretty much the standard with sbc headers, larger sizes are available but usually not needed unless your making like 500 or 600 hp. Also keep in mind larger tubes will flow more and produce better max hp numbers but will usually kill off at least some of your low end torque just hike using heads with runners that are too big or a cam with too much duration. And good low and midrange torque is what really gets the car moving and makes it fun to drive on the street.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor