• edelbrock

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

1985Chevycutlass

Apprentice
Feb 4, 2009
I know yall probably discussed this a million times, but I am new to this forum so I apologize. I have a 85 cutlass supreme broughm. I took out the super slow 307 and put in a crate sbc 350 with an edelbrock intake, a mild towing cam, and holly carb. I plan on adding a set of headers and a true dual exhaust. Problem is, I have heard so many mixed reviews about headers im not sure if I should add them. A mechanic told me not to get them if I didnt know how to work on cars (which I dont, but I am learning) because the header bolts always come loose and the gaskets always mess up. Anyone know of a brand that does not do this, cost doesnt matter. Just trying to find some that I can put in and not worry about. Also anyone have a similar setup and have suggestions for a monster sounding exhaust.......Flowmaster or Magnaflow. Thanx, all help is appreciated.

SLICK79WGN

G-Body Guru
Nov 6, 2008
LaPorte,Tx
hooker super comps are among the best you can get and they have locking header bolts that work great and get some good copper header gaskets put them on run them through a few heat cycles retighten the bolts put the locks on and your golden

1985Chevycutlass

Apprentice
Feb 4, 2009
THANKS! I was just thinking of going with stock exhaust manifold because of exhaust leak fear, but I really want to add headers because of hp gain. I've read a few reviews on those Hookers Comps and they have all been good. Just wanted some first hand advice. Guess I'll givem a try. I Appreciate the info man.

Attachments

• 1205100849.jpg
    1205100849.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 144
  • 0327111221.jpg
    0327111221.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 125

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
I have full length hooker comps with the a.i.r. fittings on my GP and they work great for being as old as they are. The only issue I've had is the gaskets
blowing out on the collectors but I'm sure some copper ones will take care of that issue. As for horsepower i have heard of claims of up to 40hp but maybe I'm overestimating??? I Know you would have to adjust the carb for it going lean.. I also trashed the old exhaust system that was 2.25 and replaced it with a 2.50 mandrel bent pipes with turbo mufflers. I also bought some universal cats and got it welded all up. It sounds meaner than it really is but i hope to fix that with the 350 i am putting together for it. Hopefully soon

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
I have a set of Dynomax headers that were on my 442 when it had a 350 in it, and now they're in my Cutlass wagon on a different 350, and they fit fantastic in both cars. They're the only pair of headers out of dozens I've installed that I haven't had to pound on for clearance.

82355supreme

Greasemonkey
May 16, 2006
Wisconsin
Blake442 said:
I have a set of Dynomax headers that were on my 442 when it had a 350 in it, and now they're in my Cutlass wagon on a different 350, and they fit fantastic in both cars. They're the only pair of headers out of dozens I've installed that I haven't had to pound on for clearance.

I CONCUR!!!! If you want headers that you don't have to put dents in or sell your soul to the devil to get into place, buy Dynomax. I have them in my Cutlass with a SBC & the fitment,clearance, and quality is excellent!!

I have them wrapped in heat fabric & still have plenty of room to access the plugs & plugs caps.

My friend who helped me with the engine build & install even commented on how great of fit they were. He has a Monte Carlo with Hookers & he had to cut,extend, & make custom bends to 3 of the 8 pipes to get them to fit with enough clearance to change spark plugs. It was either that or take them off the heads everytime to change a plug(s)

smoknum

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 20, 2007
exhaust

torque tech has a great mandrel bent exaust system for g bodys

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor