Headlight assembly on 1980 Malibu Classic

Status
Not open for further replies.

butch1024

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 25, 2018
MA
Doing re-assembly of my Malibu after 7 or 8 years. Now retired for 5 years, I have the body back on the frame and the whole drive-line in place. I am using parts that I have gathered from a 78 Malibu as well as the 80.
My issue is the header assembly that houses the single rectangular headlights. Parking and corner lights are installed - no problem. However, when I install either headlight, the adjusters line up, but when I hook the spring
to the bucket, it pulls the bucket inward toward the center of the header far beyond the limits of the adjuster. What I am doing wrong or am I missing something? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Reactions: 1 user

5spdCab

Royal Smart Person
Dec 29, 2019
Tukwila, Wa.
I removed my driver side headlight to get a good look at the spring attachment. I am noticing that the bucket seems to be universal as to being right or left. The upper and side adjusters, along with the spring, forms a triangular mount. Mine is pretty solid in position, but wiggles if I reach inside and pull. I recall having difficulty stretching the spring to reattach it some time ago when I had the bucket out.
Photo of driver side, '78 Caballero.
20200718_132102.jpg

My spring is attached at the bottom inner corner.
Hope this info and photo helps you.

• Useful
Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor