headlight/key chimes very faint

Status
Not open for further replies.

84hurst

Apprentice
Aug 17, 2008
Lansing
Ever since i bought my 84 the chimes that go off for the lights being on or the key being in the ignition are very faint you can barely hear them. Im assuming the module for the chimes is under the dash somewhere but have no idea what it looks like or if that is even whats wrong. Anyone been through this or have any help???

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
Yep, there is foam between the chime module case and speaker. When it deteriorates the sound dimenishes like your talking about.
On your year car, you can just remove the chime module, open it up and use just about any type of foam to replace what was there. Put it back together and reinstall. Should take care of the problem.

It's almost impossible to do on the '87/'88 modules as they don't come apart easily. I had to install an earlier chime module in mine.

I'll see if I can dig up a picture of its location but it should be over by/under the headlight switch on the left side of the dash.

84hurst

Apprentice
Aug 17, 2008
Lansing
thanks for the help, i'll have to check it out when i get it back from the paint shop, i might have a ground issue as well because when i move the dimmer switch up and down i can hear it as static through the speakers!~ weird!!!!

Brick442

Master Mechanic
Apr 16, 2009
Jersey Shore
Did all Cutlass'es have the chime? I just started driving my Cutlass after 9 years, I don't remember this chime.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
FE3X CLONE...thanks..I have that problem but I wasn't too concerned with it and never thought of finding out what the problem was.... :D

MR442

G-Body Guru
Apr 1, 2010
Back woods Central PA
They do get quite . R there any other chimes that may work that sound better . Mine works fine but one out of a CAddy or other do they sound different ?

Most of these r unpluged in about every 80's cartruck I have had. They can be a pain if you r a detail with radio type guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor