Headlight/key in ign chime

Status
Not open for further replies.

journeyforce

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 7, 2012
My headlight left on and key left in ignition chime/buzzer does not work at all. I read about the chime/buzzer box on this forum but most posts direct towards Oldspower forum which is DOA. Where is this box and what does it look like? I suspect it would have a speaker in it? What goes bad on them? The speaker?

On a related note, I came across a flat black plastic box the size of a index card that is attached just above the brake pedal. with a connector attached to it. It attaches to this plastic tray with a tang on it(you push the tang downwards and the box/module slides out. I am wondering what it is. It is not the ECM and does not look like the chime module

I can take a pic of the box and post it later today or tomorrow

Thanks for your help

Lorenzo

Master Mechanic
Mar 28, 2012
Milton Ontario
I wish i had a chime for my lights, i always forget to turn them off. Only chime i have is when the keys are left in, i dont know if Monte carlos came with the light chime..

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
journeyforce said:
My headlight left on and key left in ignition chime/buzzer does not work at all. I read about the chime/buzzer box on this forum but most posts direct towards Oldspower forum which is DOA.

OP is now back online. Search there for more details.

Where is this box and what does it look like? I suspect it would have a speaker in it? What goes bad on them? The speaker?

It's hard to get to. It's under the dash roughly where the headlight switch is I think ( or thereabouts ). It'sa red box about the size of a pack of cigaretts.

On a related note, I came across a flat black plastic box the size of a index card that is attached just above the brake pedal. with a connector attached to it. It attaches to this plastic tray with a tang on it(you push the tang downwards and the box/module slides out. I am wondering what it is. It is not the ECM and does not look like the chime module

It's the cruise control module.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
DoubleV said:
Where is this box and what does it look like? I suspect it would have a speaker in it? What goes bad on them? The speaker?

It's hard to get to. It's under the dash roughly where the headlight switch is I think ( or thereabouts ). It'sa red box about the size of a pack of cigaretts.
Well...it could be black in color too if it's been replaced before, or beige if it's an 87/88. Basically, if you have a rear window defogger switch, the box is behind the dash in between the column and the rear defog switch. It has a clip that you'd need a small screwdriver to slide in between the box and the clip to pry out slightly and unplug the unit. See red box in picture below...

6rm42p.jpg

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
Or beige like on my '87.

journeyforce

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 7, 2012
Thanks for the help folks

I am sorry it took so long to get back to you. I was at the junk yard and I found this nice 1986 Cutlass and decided to try my luck and get its chime box. I have to tell you folks that whoever designed it so the clip is on the inboard side between the chime box and the relay instead of being on the outboard side must have been on something. It took 2 seconds to remove the bottom panel(that cover that is above the pedals) and 10 mins to get the box out :evil:

The one on the 1986 was black and had slats cut out on the side so the piezoelectric speaker could be heard. On my car (which is a 1985) the chime box is red just like in the picture BUT with out the the 4 slats at the top(mine has 2) but being that it has the same pins for the connector as mine I gave it a shot and plugged it in and it worked perfectly. In fact it was super loud which is great.

The chime comes on when I turn the headlights on but have no key in the ignition(as it should) and will come on briefly when I put the key in the ign and start it(like it should as a check) BUT when leaving the key in the ign with the ign turned to lock, the chime will only sound if i hold the key. I am guessing that whatever is in the lock that tells the car that the key is still there is worn from 27 years of use?

In any case I was only after it chiming when the lights were left on because I left them on twice already because I am used to my past cars which had sensors to turn them on at night and day time running lights for the day(like my old LeSabre) and my XB also has this.

I took the old chime apart and found out the issue. At the bottom corner is a small round disc that is soldered to the unit. If you look closely you can see that area overheated

IMG-20120818-00012.jpg

It caused the solder on the backside to become brittle and weaken and then break so that the disc was not attached to it

IMG-20120818-00013.jpg

I think it was caused by a poor design where there was no ventilation for the heat coming from the unit except for two slats at the top of the device. I could have probably soldered that part back on and it would have worked but would have broke again due to the same thing. Since the junk yard replacement cost $2.00 it was not worth the time

Thanks again for all your help

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor