Headlight mounting on el camino ss choo choo front end

jwobbles07

jwobbles07

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 14, 2018
Los Alamos, NM
Well... fixing old modifications from the previous owner(s) and the headlights would jiggle and look at the trees. It is a 81 malibu wagon that has the elco choo choo front end conversion on it. They booger welded the headlight mounting brackets on terribly and I'm sure in the wrong spots. I've been looking for pictures or the parts breakdown diagrams on how the quad headlight assemblies are mounted to the radiator support. Any help would be fantastic.

85ss/85gn

Greasemonkey
Supporting Member
Jan 31, 2007
beaver dam,wi
I'll see if can get some pictures this weekend just picked up a choo choo choo

Reactions: jwobbles07
ssn696

ssn696

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
New Mexico
If it uses the stock GM quad lights, there are small springs that hold the 'buckets' opposite the two adjustment screws. The plastic threaded mounts clipped through the radiator support often get brittle and break out. The Zone and O'Reilly's typically have these in the 'Help' Motormite section. Try Dorman 42161 if these look like the source of the problem. Missing springs might require a trip to Pull'n'Pay. Most cars and trucks used a similar design, might find a range of donors.

jwobbles07

jwobbles07

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 14, 2018
Los Alamos, NM
If it uses the stock GM quad lights, there are small springs that hold the 'buckets' opposite the two adjustment screws. The plastic threaded mounts clipped through the radiator support often get brittle and break out. The Zone and O'Reilly's typically have these in the 'Help' Motormite section. Try Dorman 42161 if these look like the source of the problem. Missing springs might require a trip to Pull'n'Pay. Most cars and trucks used a similar design, might find a range of donors.
I need to see how the assembly mounts to radiator support. Where the brackets connect to iand how. The actual assembly with the sealed beam lights is fine. The brackets that hold them currently are in the wrong spot and booger welded on.

D

Doug Chahoy

Royal Smart Person
Nov 21, 2016
I’m right now installing a Choo Choo nose, the headlights in mine mount to the nose in a fiberglass housing not the rad support.

D

Doug Chahoy

Royal Smart Person
Nov 21, 2016
I'll see if can get some pictures this weekend just picked up a choo choo choo
If you just bought an actual Choo Choo, make the cuts in the old bumper for the turn signals bigger than the directions call for. If you have to take your old bumper apart, you may want to get new spring clips and bolts beforehand. I had to take mine apart to take off the bumper gaurds and impact strips.

D

Doug Chahoy

Royal Smart Person
Nov 21, 2016
yea this isn't the full fiberglass one from the old honest charlies. I wish it was.
JP Autoparts is one company that sells an imitation of the Choo Choo nose, they sell the headlight mounting buckets seperately.

L.A.X-RATED

L.A.X-RATED

Royal Smart Person
Aug 25, 2010
Factory monte carlo ss headlight buckets with brackets for mounting to "airbox" and outer fenders--'buckets and airbox---325.29 delivered to the atomic city.pm me if interested.

Reactions: fleming442

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck ConsolesDixie Restoration DepotMike's MontesP-S-TSouthside Machine PerformanceUMI Performance

contact[email protected]for info on becoming a sponsor