Headlight relays

Status
Not open for further replies.

84cutspreme

Royal Smart Person
Jun 4, 2009
Just a quick question, are added headlight relays helpful in our cars for stock bulb type?

84cutspreme

Royal Smart Person
Jun 4, 2009
While not entirely necessary, they would remove the load from the switches inside and reduce resistance in the overall circuit.
thats kind of what I was thinking too...but is it worth all the wiring lol

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
thats kind of what I was thinking too...but is it worth all the wiring lol
If you do choose to add a headlight relay kit, it's not complicated, and relatively simple to install. I'm using H4 headlamps and it helped significantly. You can find them on Ebay pretty cheap.

As Mr. Fleming had stated. it takes the load off of the headlight switch and reduces resistance.
I've also added headlight relays to one of my other cars and greatly helped as well.

Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
If you are going to add a relay to the wiring why would you want to keep the stock bulb that IMO sucks when it comes to lighting up the road

• Agree

Scoob

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 29, 2018
Sacramento California
What's the benefit of the relay if you dont mind me asking? I see it takes the load of the switch and reduces resistance, but can someone go into dummy terms and explain why that would be helpful?

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Basically you remove several feet of wiring, therefore the headlights end up getting actual battery power, not a reduced amount which means they are brighter....

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
I haven't done this to a Gbody but have on a few other old cars. It makes a noticeable difference. My '66 El Camino will be getting it done soon.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Here's a good little introduction on the why's and what you'd be looking at doing. Plus a little background for those who aren't electrically competent. This is fairly straightforward and I consider this an easy upgrade and relatively cheap. And you don't even have to rewire your entire car.

http://www.gtsparkplugs.com/headlight-relays.html

• Informative

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
On a stock system I don't think the end justifies the means. Upgrade Time? I am looking into doing mine so if any good tips that would be great

• Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor