CUTLASS Headlights Are Not Working

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emhendo

Apprentice
May 20, 2019
Chicago Soufsidee
The switch turns on my tail lights, the tailights are fine.

But ALL FOUR of my headlights just mysteriously stopped working, and I'm confused as of how this could happen all at once.

One day I turned them on, they didn't work.. On my way to autozone for new bulbs, they just mysteriously cut on.

I cut my car off for the night. They haven't cut back on since... I been only daytime driving for almost 2 weeks and no matter what I try to do, they won't work.

I'm not sure which fuse is my headlights. Can somebody school me on the fuses and which fuse to install.

Does anybody have a diagram of the fuse box AND the wiring

I'm not sure if these headlights are designed to only cut on any night???

Can somebody help me dissect and diagnose the possibilities of this problem??

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
before you change bulbs why not check to see if you have power at the headlight plugs. Sounds like the headlight switch is the problem but you can check the switch with a multimeter. There is no fuse for the headlights, the switch itself has a thermal breaker switch.

Emhendo

Apprentice
May 20, 2019
Chicago Soufsidee
before you change bulbs why not check to see if you have power at the headlight plugs. Sounds like the headlight switch is the problem but you can check the switch with a multimeter. There is no fuse for the headlights, the switch itself has a thermal breaker switch.

Yeah, I cleaned the grounds and I the terminals that go to the bulbs are "hot". So my wiring is fine..

Still no active headlights.

If it was the switch, wouldn't that mean my tail lights would not work either?? Because they work.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Yeah, I cleaned the grounds and I the terminals that go to the bulbs are "hot". So my wiring is fine..

Still no active headlights.

If it was the switch, wouldn't that mean my tail lights would not work either?? Because they work.
The tails have their own 20 amp fuse in the fuse box.

Reactions: 1 users

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
If you have power at the front, it's the bulbs. Yes, they can ALL go bad at once. You say you checked the grounds. They all go to a splice in the loom near the horn. Do yourself a favor and cut the puny 16ga leg off, and up it to 10 or 12ga on a clean connection on the fender.
Alternatively, your switch in the dash could be munged up; spray it out with some CRC contact cleaner.

Reactions: 2 users

5spdCab

Royal Smart Person
Dec 29, 2019
Tukwila, Wa.
Welcome from Seattle, Wa.

pagrunt, and flemming442, have both given good advice, but just in case those options don't work, a third possibility could be simply a loose/broken wire that makes intermittent contact. As for all of the headlights going out at the same time, I would never have believed it if I had not experienced it myself once, so that is a definite a possibility.

Reactions: 1 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
the headlight switch has different circuits for the parking/tail lights and the headlights. Take the switch out and test it with a multimeter, you turn the headlights on and see if the circuit is open or closed, if it is open then the switch is the problem

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor