Headlights, interior lights, key buzzer, stereo not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

MechaStalin

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 16, 2010
My dad did a fairly hokey stereo install on my 83 Monte and after that I started having the odd electrical gremlin. Stereo would randomly shut off and on, headlights wouldn't turn on unless I put the switch in and pulled it out again. Today I started my car up, it was cold so was idling a bit rough and during the idle the radio kept shutting on and off, once the idle stabilized the radio was working fine until I hit the gas and which point it promptly lost power and now I no longer have headlights, radio, or my key buzzer. I need to take my car to work tomorrow in the dark so I need this fixed ASAP, any help would be appreciated as my dad is none and I really have no one else I can go to in person. All my fuses seem good and ive replaced a few of them including the one under the dash. I know **** all about wiring but everything appears ok.

MechaStalin

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 16, 2010
Re: Headlights, interior lights, key buzzer, stereo not work

I also just noticed that the two grounds at the back of my firewall are completely caked in some kind of....something, and the drivers side one that appears to be connected to nothing. The passengers side one goes into the dash just above the AC unit, could these be related?

ed209

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 1, 2012
wisconsin

Check wiring at the radio you my have something cross wired

MechaStalin

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 16, 2010

I cut the wires frpm the radio to the battery, accessory, and ground only the speaker wires are hooked up right now but still no dice.

MechaStalin

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 16, 2010

Ive noticed something else, if I turn my alarm/keyless entry on and off the interior lights will flash along with the alarm, and if I turn my headlight switch on the alarm will also make the headlights flash, if I put it to high beam the interior lights will not flash but all 4 headlights will.

This is confusing as ****, any ideas?

larryo454

Master Mechanic
Aug 16, 2010

Try your ground wires and see if there gone,add more ground wires and look at the + wires on the starter and see what there like and see if power are going throw them.

80ELCAMINOFLAKE

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 2, 2010
California So Cal

I was kinda having the same problems, i redid all my grounds and it seemed to work out for me,. it all started when i did my alternator upgrade, u might want to ck your alternator, starter, battery, etc to see if all working ok. here's the link to the threads i opened and got alot of help from the guys here on the forum..

heres the alternator upgrade

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=39873

heres the battery alternator wirning paroblems..lights etc..

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=41433

ed209

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 1, 2012
wisconsin

Check to see if there is in line fuses for the alarm or remote start check and see if there are relays for it to bad wireind can make cars a nightmare.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario

your dad sure got a bad rep on this one and it may not even be his fault... :wtf:

MechaStalin

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 16, 2010

ed209 said:
Check to see if there is in line fuses for the alarm or remote start check and see if there are relays for it to bad wireind can make cars a nightmare.

Any idea where these would be usually? I've tried following wires and haven't found much of anything.

As for my dad, in his old age hes not quite as sharp around cars as he used to be and I caught him reefing on some wires and sh*t pretty hard to get more length out of them among other things. He knows his stuff but tends to mickey mouse things instead of doing it the proper way, I wouldn't mind so much if he was willing to get off the couch and give me a hand and tell me how he wired things instead of just shaking his head without taking his eyes off the tv when I come to ask him something.

From doing some research the only thing I can think of it being is the fusible links coming off the starter. I have no interior power at all, no key buzzer, no radio, no interior lights, no cigarette lighter, and no headlights. Everything else electrical works perfect though so I have no idea what to do. Looks like I'll be taking it into my mechanic this weekend as I'm not good at electrical at all and don't have the tools for it to be honest, seeing as I'm a broke *ss 22 year old haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor