Headlights, markers, tails, and dash, all stopped working.

Status
Not open for further replies.

hotrodoldsman

Apprentice
Jul 4, 2010
Hi there! I hope some one has had this happen to them and they found it was an easy fix!

I was racing my 84 cutlass at the dragstrip, on the way to the track, my alternator quit charging. I kept it charged between rounds by hooking jumper cables to our diesel p/u while the truck idled to charge it. I just figured I now need a new alternator, no big deal, I'm now wondering though if this may be connected to my other problem...

As it was getting dark in the final rounds, I went to turn on my headlights and nothing, no headlights, dash lights, markers or tail lights. My regular interior lights turn on when you open the door and the brake lights work. I cant find any fuses in the fuse block labeled for headlights, is it an inline fuse somewhere? or is there a relay that may be bad?

I dont know where to start! HELP!

Thank you in advance!
Craig

larryo454

Master Mechanic
Aug 16, 2010
Re: Headlights, markers, tails, and dash, all stopped workin

Hi the wires that goes to the starter has inline fuses next to the starter.And look at your grounds to the battery to the finder, ect, might be bad

84Cutlass

n00b
Sep 12, 2010

I just had the same problem and my headlight switch was at fault so I would check into that.

hotrodoldsman

Apprentice
Jul 4, 2010

Still hunting this problem! Help please!
Can anyone tell me where any fusable links are, that would cause this problem? I just double checked the "TAIL" fuse, and it is good, as are the rest of the fuses in the fuse block. I was told the headlight circuit-breaker/relay was IN the headlight switch, and maybe it was bad, replaced with no change. I even tried jumping power from the 2 energized pins to any of the others but not a darn thing! not even a little baby sparkle! :blam: But, if there is a blown relay/fuse/fusable-link up in the dash somewhere, there shouln't be any power getting to the switch right? :wtf: I have power to 2 tabs in the dash, and have verified continuity through the switch for both buttons, so its working(I assume). Does anyone have any idea about this problem? Any help will be appreciated!

81Regal

Royal Smart Person
Apr 5, 2009
Terril Iowa

Check your fueable links at the starter.

RITTER

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2007
Hillsdale, MI

Did you replace the alternator yet :?: That system pulls a lot of amperage and if your alternator is bad then none of it will work :idea:

hotrodoldsman

Apprentice
Jul 4, 2010

RITTER said:
Did you replace the alternator yet :?: That system pulls a lot of amperage and if your alternator is bad then none of it will work :idea:
Yea, just did that today, all is good there.... also, I checked the voltage at the 2 "energized " tabs on the dash side of the headlight switch... less than 2 volts... if that tells anyone anything! Another also, the top tab is showing to have good continuity to ground, but none of the others do, anyone know if this is right?

RITTER

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2007
Hillsdale, MI

I would have to lean toward a bad switch :idea:

jacobdavis1979

G-Body Guru
Feb 18, 2011

if u follow the hot wire from the battery to the starter youl notice a few other hot wires coming from that spot. follow them then u should see fusible links somewhere check and see if any are black now even if one of them isnt black doesnt mean its not bad this is where a wire test light will come in handy and out of the factory there will be more than one link there.

even if they do check out good id get rid of them anyway and replace them with a couple of inline fuses. i ditched the links on mine and put a couple 60 amp inline fuses there insted. easyer to replace and last longer than a link does

hotrodoldsman

Apprentice
Jul 4, 2010

RITTER said:
I would have to lean toward a bad switch :idea:
I changed it already with a new one, plus I have checked its operation(to the best of my ability), also, I tried bypassing the switch altogether by jumping one of the "hot" terminals to the others, and nothing. But having said that last part, I finaly went and got my digital meter from work, and they are hot enough to buzz my tester but they only have 1.8 volts each. Are there any fusable links anywhere other than at the starter? like under the dash? If only 1.8 volts is getting though, would that indicate a burnt but not broken connectoin/link? as opposed to a blown fuse or relay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor