Headlights only work with hibeam switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobM

Apprentice
Nov 2, 2016
Ozone Park Kid
So I think the problem is in the steering column. Here's the problem I'm dealing with my 1987 Buick regal. If I turn on the heading light switch I have all lights, tail lights, rev and brake lights work and so does the turn signals and no headlights. But if I turn on the hi beam switch, all the headlights come on and everything still works. I tested and checked all the wiring and everything looked fine. So I changed the headlight switch, just for the hell of it. But I'm still having the same problem. So what do you think the problem is ?

Attachments

• '67 vette rims mounted-001.jpg
    '67 vette rims mounted-001.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 150

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
when you turn the headlights on is there any power to the brown wire in the headlight socket?

Reactions: 1 user

81Regal

Royal Smart Person
Apr 5, 2009
Terril Iowa
Ive had that issue before, its the dimmer switch on the lower part of the collumn.

• Informative

5spdCab

Royal Smart Person
Dec 29, 2019
Tukwila, Wa.
I'm going to assume that you changed the low beam bulbs, even though they both rarely ever go out at the same time. I once had both low beams go out in less than a 24hr period.
Most likely, as noted above, probably the dimmer switch.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
if there is power on the brown on both sockets then it sounds like the low beam in the bulbs are bad

• Agree

Kra5379

Apprentice
Apr 30, 2019
I had the same issue with my cutlass, it’s the switch under the dash on the steering column. I believe it’s almost a round connector with 3 wires, get a wire diagram and find out which provides power and which is for the low beam circuit and use a piece of jumper wire (about 12-14 gauge) and jumpthe power to the low beam in the connector, not at the switch. Make sure it’s not touching anything else and tape it up!!! You won’t have high beams but you avoid replacing that switch

5spdCab

Royal Smart Person
Dec 29, 2019
Tukwila, Wa.
I had the same issue with my cutlass, it’s the switch under the dash on the steering column. I believe it’s almost a round connector with 3 wires, get a wire diagram and find out which provides power and which is for the low beam circuit and use a piece of jumper wire (about 12-14 gauge) and jumpthe power to the low beam in the connector, not at the switch. Make sure it’s not touching anything else and tape it up!!! You won’t have high beams but you avoid replacing that switch
I put a toggle switch in on the high beam side after running a jumper wire when my column mount dimmer switch failed. It is rated at 25 amps and glows blue when turned on. I have it mounted in my instrument cluster bezel near the regular head light switch. The pic below is from while I was upgrading to full gauges just a month ago.
20200823_183305.jpg
20200829_143434.jpg

I swapped to a different switch for the second photo, which is the configuration I stayed with when I installed the cluster back into the car.

• Wow

Kra5379

Apprentice
Apr 30, 2019
I put a toggle switch in on the high beam side after running a jumper wire when my column mount dimmer switch failed. It is rated at 25 amps and glows blue when turned on. I have it mounted in my instrument cluster bezel near the regular head light switch. The pic below is from while I was upgrading to full gauges just a month ago. View attachment 158506 View attachment 158507

I swapped to a different switch for the second photo, which is the configuration I stayed with when I installed the cluster back into the car.
Or you can do that!! LMAO

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor