Headliner board

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Johnson

n00b
Jul 10, 2006
I have a 82 buick regal, and I pulled out the headliner, and headliner board, not knowing that when the I was going to put in a new headliner I also need to save the board. Anyway I went to a junk yard to find a new one, and they had no regals, but the had a Gbody Grand Prix (not sure of the year) and also had a 78 or 79 cutluss, I was wondering either of these headliner boards would fit into my regal. Thanks

85t5mcss

Master Mechanic
Apr 24, 2006
Indy, IN
For the investment, prob better off buying a new one. A junkyard headliner may have same probs as yours and start sagging soon.

Mr.Johnson

n00b
Jul 10, 2006
Thanks for the feedback, but I call the interior shop and they said they just need the board to recover it with a new headliner and will only be about $60. The 2 I looked at at the junkyard were in pretty good shape, one still has the headliner in it (78 cutluss) this car doesn't ever look like it should be in the junk yard, and I don't know why it is, body and interior is straight. The one out of the Grand Prix has the liner removed and foam removed, and the board is ready to come out with very little work and all the doors and windows are up so there is no weather getting into it. I was just wondering if they would fit into my car?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I'm almost sure the G bodies have the same roof lines. I can use a T -Top from any G body on my GP. If you have your headliner out can you see if it matches the one at the junkyard?

85_SS

G-Body Guru
Nov 6, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Any 81-88 soild roof G-body headliner will work. I used a Regal headliner in my 84 SS since it didn't come with a board in it when I bought it. Be sure not to get it on a windy day - its a tricky thing to walk around with and not break it :)

don't worry if the front corners break off at the visor brackets - they almost always do. Just keep them and tape them back in place before recovering.

87GP

Greasemonkey
Jul 15, 2006
Has anybody used one of the ABS aftermarket replacement boards?

What about the clips for the surround mouldings? I know these will break when I try to pull the mouldings.

chev malibu

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 7, 2006
B.C.
87GP said:
What about the clips for the surround mouldings? I know these will break when I try to pull the mouldings.

Depends on the vehicle perhaps, but the only clips I broke on the surround (metal) trim, were the plastic ones above the rear windshield. I think that is the only way that you can take that piece of trim off. (Please give up the secret if you know otherwise :? ) The clips are still available from GM. The new ones slide onto the molding from one end, and then the big arrowhead slides into the slot in the roof support. Sort of like a gyprock anchor I've seen...I think there is 3.

The side and front trim (again, we're talking the metal ones) pieces Have an interesting clipping method that you should be able to get off without breaking the clips. You have to give one edge of the molding a shove with your thumbs, to move it forward in the clip, then a gentle pull down, while applying the pressure sideways. This allows the trim to drop down at one edge, and then just pull back slightly, and off she comes.

KurupT

n00b
Feb 5, 2007
ocala fl
87GP said:
Has anybody used one of the ABS aftermarket replacement boards?

I use the ABS ones all the time they are great! Also the headliners are the same shape from 78-88. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor