HEADLINER - how to Remove MOLDING Clips etc?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dave1

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 22, 2013
Hi - Well i thought i d try DIY headliner job - I have the new fabric material and glue, however, Releasing the molding CLIPS etc to get the old headliner board out of the car is hard - im afraid i will bust all the clips and fragile molding on sides above the doors and front etc. If anyone knows the TRICK to releasing these clips, pls let me know. Thanks! 1986 cutlass supreme coupe brougham

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
i just redid my headliner and broke about 20+ clips including mine and some junkyard ones... :shock: They were just that brittle... out of all of them i found three for the front headliner and 2 for the rear which also takes 3. which didn't break.. i think if you bought them new you wouldn't have a issue. I pulled the headliner trim down and used a small screwdriver to depress the tab for the front SLIGHTY... to release them without breaking. i would buy them new. :wink: also the front trim has some notches to to align them with the roof before you snap them in.. BTW i looked for other GM products to get them off of and they seem to be specific to g bodies... :| i could be wrong though.

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
The clips on the front and rear windsheild will break 99.9% of the time. Everything else ( other than the dome light ) is held in with philips self tapping screws. The pieces of trim over the windows need to be pushed from the inside out to release it from the clips and they almost fall off. Then remove the sill plate, kick panel, Aframe/ Pillar Cover, Seatbelt top anchors, rear seat bottom and back, and rear seat side window trim from the armrest up. Don't forget the press on star clips holding in the dome light and the garment hooks over the side rear windows and then the sunvisors. Almost all the time the headliner board will crack and break at the garmet hooks and the sunvisors. This can easlity be repaired using some matte and fibreglass resin ( I used a $12 boat repair kit from Princess Auto as it had everything ).

Good luck !!! After all that work getting it out and repairing it I took the headboard to an auto uphostery place and it was cheap ( like $50 iirc ) to have them re-do the headliner for me and another $35.00 to have them stich up my visors to match. It would have cost me twice that much between fabric and adhesive to do it myself.

GhettoRacingKid

G-Body Guru
Jul 15, 2010
I was able to use move of mine. I guess its just luck but I broke a couple and they are easy enough to get so I replaced them. Its a good thing I did becase they next time i took it out the old ones broke.

dave1

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 22, 2013
ok i give up - im taking it to the shop for $120.00 - this job is too much for me

dave1

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 22, 2013
ok i give up - im taking it to the shop for $120.00 - (I supply the fabric which i do have) - this job is too much for me! replacing clips sounds like a bummer

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor