Headliner molding

Status
Not open for further replies.

84 elco

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 7, 2018
Does anyone have any good tips for successfully removing the headliner molding without destroying the clips?

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
not really. The front and rear clips break every time I try. I consider them 1 time use

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I agree. You might get lucky saving a few, but I put the emphasis on lucky. Definitely have some new ones on hand...you'll thank yourself afterward.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
These parts are for G-body hardtop (rear ones work on T-top) and I'm assuming from your handle that you have an 84 elky. So I'm not 100% sure if the rears would work on the trim. Not familiar with the el camino but I think they use the same clips. Check to make sure. The windshield front clips should be the same, as well as perhaps the side clips.

GM part number 20058837 front upper clips. Discontinued from GM. You can find equivalent from places like Auveco, Dorman, etc.

GM part number 20061050 for rear upper clips. They still list them for $6.08 each list price. Or equivalent. Auveco p/n is 17386 but it says they've discontinued it.

If you don't break them, you can hopefully save your side clips (6 on G-body hard top, not sure on el camino). GM part number 20340201. Discontinued from GM, but you can find them here and there. Gbodyparts has them for $4 each.

Ebay has oodles of them for not a lot of investment. Mike's Montes has them in a kit even for hard top cars on his website and on ebay. I think you need 5 in the front and 3 in the back. Maybe 4. Can't recall for sure. I want to say 3...but you know how that goes. And likely 4 or 6 on the sides.

Please, just buy new ones when redoing your headliner. What, 14 or 15 clips total? Don't muck around with dried up clips that are aged and snap at the least amount of pressure.

• Informative
Reactions: 3 users

O. D. Showtime

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 6, 2009
Regina Sask. Canada
All good info posted ....the only thing I could add is that the Camino does not have the side (above the door) clips that the coupe has.

Reactions: 1 user

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
All good info posted ....the only thing I could add is that the Camino does not have the side (above the door) clips that the coupe has.
This is good to know. I have absolutely no idea about elkys. Do they use ANY type of retainer on the sides? I would think they would need something up there to retain the sides of the headliner. Maybe a trim part that clips or screws into the roof?

I did find this oddity for the rear clip at the el camino store...….

https://www.elcaminostore.com/el-camino-interior-rear-window-upper-molding-clip-1978-1987.html

The claim is that they're "NOS GM" part and then down in the details they have a different part number and underneath that they claim is replacement for GM part number 20061050. Dafuq??? I guess that's how they can gouge you 8.49 per aftermarket clip and think they're justified by making you think it's a GM clip when it's not. I'm throwing the BS flag.

O. D. Showtime

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 6, 2009
Regina Sask. Canada
This is good to know. I have absolutely no idea about elkys. Do they use ANY type of retainer on the sides? I would think they would need something up there to retain the sides of the headliner. Maybe a trim part that clips or screws into the roof?

I did find this oddity for the rear clip at the el camino store...….

https://www.elcaminostore.com/el-camino-interior-rear-window-upper-molding-clip-1978-1987.html

The claim is that they're "NOS GM" part and then down in the details they have a different part number and underneath that they claim is replacement for GM part number 20061050. Dafuq??? I guess that's how they can gouge you 8.49 per aftermarket clip and think they're justified by making you think it's a GM clip when it's not. I'm throwing the BS flag.

The interior trim piece that fits over the window and down the C pillar is actually kinda of short...so to speak. It fastens under the junction of the front upper window trim and A pillar and is held with 2 screws at the C pillar and the lower portion of them fit behind the lower C pillar trim.

C Pillar Trim Blk.JPG

Now I've pulled quite a few of these and on some they have a little tab with a hole in it...you can see them on this set, but have never seen any kind of a screw at this point in any of the ones I've pulled.

Carmine Upper C Pillar.JPG

I don't have a back side pic but seems to me there was a clip on one set I pulled much like the one that holds the kick panels to the body in the footwells.

Last edited:

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Ah, makes sense. Not much of a headliner to hold up anyway. Thanks for the explanation. I learned something today...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor