Headliner question

Status
Not open for further replies.

lp08ss

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 11, 2018
My Montes headliner is pretty saggy so looking around for a new headliner I took notice there's a more than 1 option, dome light or map light. I've attached a picture if someone could tell me which I've got it would be greatly appreciated.
3d1320bffa3ce49ba579c74c6a10596c.jpg

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

lp08ss

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 11, 2018
Also I'd like to add what is a good indication that the headliner is beyond repair where I can't just glue it back down?

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Dome would the just the singular circle in the middle, you've got a map light my friend.

Reactions: 1 user

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Also I'd like to add what is a good indication that the headliner is beyond repair where I can't just glue it back down?

From what I remember, the factory headliner was padded, the glue eats the foam over 30 years and it disintegrates and then sags. You can probably save the board if you can get it out without cracking it, and get some fabric the same color and texture and glue it straight to the board.

• Agree

lp08ss

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 11, 2018
From what I remember, the factory headliner was padded, the glue eats the foam over 30 years and it disintegrates and then sags. You can probably save the board if you can get it out without cracking it, and get some fabric the same color and texture and glue it straight to the board.
I see thanks for your input, might wander to the craft store see if I can't find something close haha.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Check for auto trim shops in your area...headliner fabric(like what was originally used) is available at sewing stores, but locally they only carry tan, gray, and black.

We used to have a place that sold all the stick-on molding, stripe kits, etc that dealers like to add on, they sold headliner fabric in all the colors, and it was very inexpensive, about a third to half what the online sites sell at.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Back when JC Whitney was JC Whitney they used to have fabric kits that would of mounted with supplied bows simular to the cars up to the mid '70's. Wish I got one back when they had them.

Huen79H/O

Apprentice
Jun 5, 2018
I just did my headliner this year I got my black fabric at Joanna's fabric very cheap and bought 3m headliner spary on glue it was easy several you tube videos

• Winner
Reactions: 1 users

pontiac guy

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2016
Royse City, TX
The correct fabric can be order from any resto company. Any trim shop can glue it back on. I did my GP about 4 months ago cost me $150 including material. Carried in. It's easy to remove. I wouldn't bother with an aftermarket board. Personally it's well worth the money to me to have the correct material on it and not have to deal with doing it myself.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor