Headliner question

Status
Not open for further replies.

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
Just get a new one with the ABS rubber backing. Comes rolled up in a big box. Just unroll it, let it straighten out, and put it up. Bonus you get rid of a lot of the funky old car smell. If you're going to drop the coin for fabric and supplies, or have someone else do it, or spend hours doing it yourself, its an option to consider.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I bought my headliner fabric from StockInteriors and since I have some kind of burgundy I had them send me a few free color samples to get a perfect match.
If the headliner board is in decent shape you have to clean off the old glue and foam and glue the new headliner material with 3M headliner adhesive if you are buying headliner by the yard it doesn't matter what you have as far as dome or map light since you will trim it after it is glued to what ever shape is there.

Reactions: 2 users

lp08ss

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 11, 2018
I bought my headliner fabric from StockInteriors and since I have some kind of burgundy I had them send me a few free color samples to get a perfect match.
If the headliner board is in decent shape you have to clean off the old glue and foam and glue the new headliner material with 3M headliner adhesive if you are buying headliner by the yard it doesn't matter what you have as far as dome or map light since you will trim it after it is glued to what ever shape is there.
Checked out stock interiors, great site they seem to have just about everything you'd ever need, Thanks for that! I think maybe I'll pull the head liner and make a judgment call by the condition of the board if it's damaged in any way I'll just replace the whole thing, if it's in decent shape I'll just recover it!

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

foxtrot

Royal Smart Person
Dec 19, 2008
USA
Checked out stock interiors, great site they seem to have just about everything you'd ever need, Thanks for that! I think maybe I'll pull the head liner and make a judgment call by the condition of the board if it's damaged in any way I'll just replace the whole thing, if it's in decent shape I'll just recover it!

If that's your plan, be careful when removing the headliner because it's pretty brittle and can easily crack. Best plan would be to take your time to remove all of the trim that holds it in place.

Reactions: 1 user

lp08ss

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 11, 2018
ditto on Stock Interiors...I've just ordered headliner material from them and have installed carpet from them on another car. they have good stuff
How close does the carpet match the original because I was thinking of doing that as well one of these days but for some reason I'm afraid the piles gonna look different and end up bothering me lol

dirtywhiteboy

Master Mechanic
Jan 6, 2009
Mount Solon, VA
Like others said, just, go to a fabric store or amazon and order the fabric.
WARNING, the foam backer is delicate so remove and scrape and clean off the old mess carefully.
Another warning, only use glue labeled "headliner" and do not be shy with the glue....
I know this because I've done my wagon twice. It's cheaper and quicker to do it right the first time.
I used 4 cans of adhesive the second time and so far so good. Good Luck

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
It's cheaper to recover yourself than it is to buy one of those ready-made deals or taking it to the shop. Use a stiff bristle brush to scrub off the dead foam from the headliner and get a good headliner material to match yours. The pics look like it could be brown or most likely Dk Claret, interior code 79C. But it's hard to tell from the pic and computer graphics.

A word about headliner colors...if yours is Claret, you likely won't find an exact match on the color. At least I haven't and have requested samples from nearly every on-line vendor in search of that. It's very close most of the time, but not spot on. I might take some dye and try to ink the color match on my own, not sure yet. Make sure you get enough to redo the visors if you want them to match properly.

I don't know first-hand, but I've heard horror stories of those ready-made headliners coming in dirty and damaged. I'm not discounting them, but just something to consider if you go that route.

If you have any cracks in the original headliner (visor corners and coat hook mount areas are trouble spots usually) you can fix those most of the time with some good quality, high temp duct tape on the non-headliner material side to hold everything together.

Good luck.

lp08ss

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 11, 2018
It's cheaper to recover yourself than it is to buy one of those ready-made deals or taking it to the shop. Use a stiff bristle brush to scrub off the dead foam from the headliner and get a good headliner material to match yours. The pics look like it could be brown or most likely Dk Claret, interior code 79C. But it's hard to tell from the pic and computer graphics.

A word about headliner colors...if yours is Claret, you likely won't find an exact match on the color. At least I haven't and have requested samples from nearly every on-line vendor in search of that. It's very close most of the time, but not spot on. I might take some dye and try to ink the color match on my own, not sure yet. Make sure you get enough to redo the visors if you want them to match properly.

I don't know first-hand, but I've heard horror stories of those ready-made headliners coming in dirty and damaged. I'm not discounting them, but just something to consider if you go that route.

If you have any cracks in the original headliner (visor corners and coat hook mount areas are trouble spots usually) you can fix those most of the time with some good quality, high temp duct tape on the non-headliner material side to hold everything together.

Good luck.
Awesome these are great tips, I have some questions though! You refer to the interior code, I assume my color is the dark claret as you mentioned because from any pictures I've seen its what looks the closest to what I have BUT all of my interior codes refer to it as Ruby red but I can't seem to find anyone who has that color. Could they be one in the same?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor