Headliner replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe’s Monte

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 8, 2021
Hey everyone
Looking to replace my headliner on my ‘86 Monte t-top. Are the abs headliners worth the money? What is the best option ? Also I have the original grey interior ..which grey should I be looking for when choosing products from sites like MikesMonte or DixieRestoration ?
Thanks

Benwa

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 18, 2020
Winslow Illinois
I am not sure where you live but you can recover your origional. Most fabric stores sell the headliner material and go to an auto part or farm supply store and get some headliner adheasive and you will be ready to rip.

doood

Amateur Mechanic
Sep 24, 2020
I bought an ABS headliner from Jegs for $169, but the price is $253 now since the fearful half ruined the global economy for China's benefit.

I think shipping was a whopping $70.

I painted it flat blue, close to the faded medium blue color of the interior, with a rattle-can. I did not upholster it.

I'm happy with the ABS headliner. It doesn't make noise going over bumps as there is some rubberized cork sheet from the factory to isolate it from rubbing.

The rear trim clips are a b1tch; I broke 5 of the 8 I bought from Mike's Montes. The injection molded plastic is brittle for whatever reason.

Realize that the trim pieces on the door arch hook on the inside edge and snap onto the outer edge; don't take the front trim off.

My original headliner, which was some kind of dense foam, broke away when I tried to remove it carefully. Doing it again, I would put a drop cloth in the car to catch the debris.

I folded the ABS headliner in half, like it came in the shipping box, to get it into the car.

Reactions: 1 users

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
Do a search here on GBF. ABS was never meant to be used for a headliner application. It’s not dimensionally stable under high heat and it’s heavy. As noted you can repair the original headliner substrate. No one in the automotive supply chain uses ABS for good reason. It seems this question comes up every couple of weeks. The search function is your friend

Jorge1958

Master Mechanic
Mar 2, 2019
Columbia City Oregon
Hey everyone
Looking to replace my headliner on my ‘86 Monte t-top. Are the abs headliners worth the money? What is the best option ? Also I have the original grey interior ..which grey should I be looking for when choosing products from sites like MikesMonte or DixieRestoration ?
Thanks
I replaced the headliner in my 86 Monte SS T-top to. I got the material from Mikes Montes i think. Its been a while. I used the old backer board. Was pretty in expensive. Bought a can of 3m headliner adhesive. Pretty simple job. With the T-tops there isn't a whole lot of headliner there. Came out great. Just be careful with the backer board. Pretty fragile.

doood

Amateur Mechanic
Sep 24, 2020
Do a search here on GBF. ABS was never meant to be used for a headliner application. It’s not dimensionally stable under high heat and it’s heavy. As noted you can repair the original headliner substrate. No one in the automotive supply chain uses ABS for good reason. It seems this question comes up every couple of weeks. The search function is your friend
Welp. Hope mine lasts... the dome light, 4-sides of trim, and coat hangers appear to be holding mine in place well. I keep the car covered since I haven't replaced the window sweeps yet (they let in water). I was quite pleased with the ABS dimensional stability to date, but it's been in the car only 6 months. My foam backer board came apart with gentle fumbling - if you guys were able to salvage that, hats off to you.

Reactions: 1 user

Joe’s Monte

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 8, 2021
I replaced the headliner in my 86 Monte SS T-top to. I got the material from Mikes Montes i think. Its been a while. I used the old backer board. Was pretty in expensive. Bought a can of 3m headliner adhesive. Pretty simple job. With the T-tops there isn't a whole lot of headliner there. Came out great. Just be careful with the backer board. Pretty fragile.
Thanks Jorge …I’m gonna give a try 🤞

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor