GRAND PRIX Headliner

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
No factory T top Monte SS prior to mid 1985 model year, so mine is a solid top car. Look, I'm not saying that I'll never have a problem with the ABS headliner, all I'm saying is that its been 7-8 years now with no issues. Many folks may have had problems with them, but as yet anyway, I'm not one of them.
I wasn't doubting you, I was only trying to ascertain which style you were working with. In fact, I'm happy you don't have the problems. The issue is that there's no telling how many people use the ABS headliner without issue vs. the problem headliners. Fail ratio is skewed on most car groups/forums because like anything else, normally only people that has had a problem say anything. You're simply one of the non-failures to report the plus side of using the ABS type. And this info is good to know for people on the fence.

T-top cars have headliners too, albeit small ones. And that makes a difference as it's about 1/2 the weight as a solid top car. The foam backer is pretty flexible, too- when it was new. Which is part of the reason they make the ABS ones in the first place. The foam gets all dried out like an old styrofoam coffee cup, getting brittle over the years and many times some part of it crumbles upon removal and requires some mylar tape. Especially the front corners where it gets pinched down by the visors. So the original foam has its own set of issues. And there's not a whole lot you can do about it as the only replacements are the ABS ones. I've seen the ABS ones displayed at car shows and they're pretty light too.

I still believe that if the original headliner board is still in good condition, then use it. Do the job right and you could maybe get another 30+ years out of it before someone else has to deal with the headliner drooping into their face. :LOL:

I mentioned using duct tape earlier but I didn't mean the heavy-glue fabric style of tape. They make aluminum foil "duct" tape. Similar to this below. Keeping it strong, but light. I've used it before on the backside of the board without issue.

%E6%9C%AA%E6%A0%87%E9%A2%98-1.jpg

Reactions: 4 users

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
I wasn't doubting you, I was only trying to ascertain which style you were working with. In fact, I'm happy you don't have the problems. The issue is that there's no telling how many people use the ABS headliner without issue vs. the problem headliners. Fail ratio is skewed on most car groups/forums because like anything else, normally only people that has had a problem say anything. You're simply one of the non-failures to report the plus side of using the ABS type. And this info is good to know for people on the fence.

T-top cars have headliners too, albeit small ones. And that makes a difference as it's about 1/2 the weight as a solid top car. The foam backer is pretty flexible, too- when it was new. Which is part of the reason they make the ABS ones in the first place. The foam gets all dried out like an old styrofoam coffee cup, getting brittle over the years and many times some part of it crumbles upon removal and requires some mylar tape. Especially the front corners where it gets pinched down by the visors. So the original foam has its own set of issues. And there's not a whole lot you can do about it as the only replacements are the ABS ones. I've seen the ABS ones displayed at car shows and they're pretty light too.

I still believe that if the original headliner board is still in good condition, then use it. Do the job right and you could maybe get another 30+ years out of it before someone else has to deal with the headliner drooping into their face. :LOL:

I mentioned using duct tape earlier but I didn't mean the heavy-glue fabric style of tape. They make aluminum foil "duct" tape. Similar to this below. Keeping it strong, but light. I've used it before on the backside of the board without issue.

%E6%9C%AA%E6%A0%87%E9%A2%98-1.jpg
Thanks very much for your comments. I was only trying to reflect my positive experience with the ABS backing board. As you have pointed out, the O.E. fiber backing board tends to get brittle and fragile as it ages. Even if you're gentle with it when removing it it, it can crack and/or break during removal, and as you also pointed out, the front corners can be especially tricky, due to the pressure put on them by the visors. GM never intended for these cars to last much beyond their warranty period, or else they might have been out of business a long time ago. I was surprised that the O.E. board lasted as long as it did. Another factor in my lack of issues with the ABS board, is that the Monte spends most of its time in a garage, and we have a colder climate here, so there are shorter periods of extreme heat.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

88AZSS

Master Mechanic
Mar 13, 2018
Mesa, AZ
I considered the ABS board but after hearing of others experiences and living in AZ, I didnt think itd last even a summer. I opted to throw my money into restoring the original board I had. I have T Tops so I'm really only working with half a board. I used the metallic backed tape as suggested before on all the weak spots and even in the middle of the board where it nearly broke in half. I used the tape around the corners and edges as well and it helped tremendously in fortifying the board. I recovered with foam-backed suede and it came out very good. How long will it last? We shall see, especially here in AZ, but Im almost certain at the very least it will not sag or warp as the ABS piece has seemed to do.

80E47F14-36FD-42DE-A958-EA29B1C717AF.jpeg

3E360802-CFE5-47C7-86F8-9A8E45F1DE72.jpeg

4B1B21FC-7E6A-4886-9E38-456A39A8D479.jpeg

Reactions: 5 users

Rgpmalibu

Greasemonkey
Oct 7, 2020
I'm in the middle of replacing my headliner, and I have a question about the headliner clips and trim pieces. For the trim above the rear window, I slid the clips into the trim before I replaced the trim piece, and the trim just popped right into place. I'm now trying to replace the front trim piece and I can't seem to get the clips to lock into place, not even with persuasion. The trim piece just falls right out. I tried tapping the piece in, but then broke 4 of the 5 clips. Afterword, I got the idea that maybe the clips go into the holes, and then the metal trim goes on. The question is, and this may seem dumb, but do the clips go into the holes first, and then the trim snaps into place (like the side pieces do), or do the clips go into the trim piece, and the whole thing goes in as an assembly? I've tried doing this outside of the car, and the clips will pop into place in the trim without sliding them in through the side the way they come out. This is my first time (and hopefully the last time) doing this, and the clips don't come with instructions. I just can't seem to get that front piece in place. It seems like the front should clip in as easy as the back did, but it's not. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

88AZSS

Master Mechanic
Mar 13, 2018
Mesa, AZ
The clips go into the trim piece and then gets installed as one. I found when doing mine that I had to go through a couple clips before finding the strongest ones that worked for holding it all together and also staying in the holes. Mines a T-Top so I didnt have a front but this was my experience with the rear trim piece which was missing completely when I first bought the car.

Try installing the clips all at once, making sure theyre the right orientation in the trim piece and then installing from the center out, that way if one falls out you can still slide it back in the side. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users

Rgpmalibu

Greasemonkey
Oct 7, 2020
Thanks guys, I appreciate it. I'm going to keep trying. If it came out, it will go back in.

Reactions: 1 user

buick7332

Master Mechanic
Oct 21, 2014
N.E. Philadelphia area
Im finally getting to this. I pulled the trim to get the board out and was surprised to see that someone has redone it before. One sunvisor corner was broken off and repaired with duct tape. I pulled off the fabric and used a kitchen brush to remove the remaining foam. Im having good luck with coarse steel wool to clean the board. I reattached the broken corner with plastic epoxy and used masking tape to hold it in place till the glue dries. My plan then is to remove the masking tape and then use the silver tape to bulk up the repair.

Attachments

• IMG_20231015_114959.jpg
    IMG_20231015_114959.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_20231016_115337.jpg
    IMG_20231016_115337.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 35
  • IMG_20231016_120100.jpg
    IMG_20231016_120100.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 38

carnutjw

G-Body Guru
Sep 17, 2017

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor