Headrest Removal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garrow215

Apprentice
Aug 23, 2009
Burke, NY
Any special trick to removing the headrests from an '85 Monte SS? I was told there is some kind of locking mechanism inside the seat? Need to get the headrest covers off to get them embroidered and it wasn't going quite as smoothly as I'd hoped...haha. Thanks.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
You will need a long stainless steel spatula to do it. From what I have read ( I have not actually done it), you need to cut down the spatula to the width of the opening the head rest post goes in to. Then, the spatula will pop forward the spring loaded pin that keeps it locked in place, and should just come right out. Take this for what it is worth, as I am not speaking from experience. I read it in a book on auto upholstery that I read about 12 years ago. It's a technical detail, and I tend to not forget too many of those....:lol:

Attachments

• driver side car.jpg
    driver side car.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 754

81Regal

Royal Smart Person
Apr 5, 2009
Terril Iowa
A dull hacksaw blade works well, climb into the back seat if the seats are still in the car, raise the headrest all the way up. Slide the blade down between the headrest support and the plastic trim and feel around, there is 2 spots in the headrest support you will have to get by. To reinstall slide straight down untin it is on the seat.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
pearlcamino said:
I have the opposite problem, the d/s headrest won't lock in any position and it won't stay in?

Pull it out and take a look at it to see if anything is broken. If you need further help, please post a picture of the part in question so that we can see what is wrong.

Garrow215

Apprentice
Aug 23, 2009
Burke, NY
So do I try to 'unlock' it from the front or the back?

Phoenix

Apprentice
Jun 9, 2009
Kansas City, MO
Garrow215 said:
Any special trick to removing the headrests from an '85 Monte SS?
Don't do the slim jimmy trick with a hacksaw blade or something similar. Yes it works, but it is a PITA and not necessary.

The stem of the headrest has these really big holes in it. The metal sleeve that the headrest stem slides through has a really large spring steel clip in it that pushes against the stem and stops when it hits one of those holes. There is also a plastic sleeve that fits inside the metal sleeve. If you don't have the plastic sleeve because someone removed it, your headrest will wobble and you will have room for the slim jimmy trick. If the plastic sleeve is there like it should be, the stem fits tight and the headrest won't wobble because there isn't any extra room.

All you have to do is wrap your legs around the back rest to hold it tight (tilting the seat back and doing this from the back seat works well), pull out the headrest and wrap your arms around it like you are doing curls...then, very forcefully yet abruptly pull it straight out. The spring steel clip doesn't bend very easily and the tip of the headrest stem is solid with no holes...so it stops there. You won't break anything; just yank it out in a controlled manner, like a man, with a reasonable amount of authority...and don't punch yourself in the face by overdoing it like a brute.

The only way you can break the clip is by forcing the stem when you go to put it back in. Instead of trying to force it, angle it appropriately, and gently hammer down on the headrest repeatedly with your fist. Eventually, it will slip by the clip and you are back in business.
pearlcamino said:
I have the opposite problem, the d/s headrest won't lock in any position and it won't stay in?
Someone broke your clip.

bazthespazz

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 17, 2012
Oregon
I've got an '84 and to get mine out I used a putty knife that was just about the same width as the stem on the headrest. Raise the headrest all the way up and stick the putty knife down the stem of the headrest from the front until you feel it hit something. Then push just a little harder while at the same time lifting up on the headrest and it should slide right out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor