Health issue

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Well, I never thought I'd be writing anything like this. Sorry if its a little long.
Ive been dealing with some health issues over the past few years. Plowing through most of them and still trying to get crap done. Last Fall they found trace blood in my urine. Had a bunch of tests done and in the end it turned out to be a bunch of kidney stones. Ive got 4 small ones in my left kidney and 4 in the right. The problem is 2 of the 4 in the right are big. Ones is a 1/2" and the other is almost a full inch in diameter. That cant be broken up with a lithotripsy. They have to go in and get it.
I went to a surgeon that specializes in doing this. Last year he did 300 of these procedures. I felt comfortable with the guy. The surgery was scheduled for April 19th. I was ready. So I thought.
My pre op testing was supposed to be next Tuesday. While I was getting all the stuff ready my wife told me I should get a letter from my cardiologist. Ive always had an abnolmal EKG. Something with a Q wave. The cardiologist said it was just the way my normal EKG looks but Im sure it would set off bells at my pre op testing and it might hold up the surgery. I called the cardiologists office and tried to make an appointment. I should add that I see this guy every 6 months.
I was supposed to have my carotid arteries checked and an EKO done at the end of April. Routine tests. The girl said they had an opening this past Monday and both of them could be done at the same time. Then I could see the doc on Wednesday. No big deal.
The test results were read the same day and put on the patient portal. The carotids looks perfect. The EKO, not too good. It said I have severe aortic stenosis. I met with the doc Wednesday AM. Turns out my aortic valve needs to be replaced.
I go into the hospital next Wednesday at 6:30AM. First a CT of my abdomen, then a cardiac CT. Right after those are done I get catherized. The doctor doing the cath has a great rep. A surgeon is there to assist. Hes going in to measure for a new valve. Its called a TAVR. Less invasive procedure than a standard valve replacement. It goes in through the groin like theyre doing a stent. My cardiologist says they work well. Im sure when I meet the guy doing it I'll be able to ask him more about it. Hes also going to check to see if theres any blocked arteries.
My big fear is if they find blockages. Ive done well on stress tests. My bad knees stop the test not being winded but its still the main thing that concerns me. When I was born I was adopted. I found my biological mother back in '82. I found out that my half brother had a stent at 43. My mother had her first heart attack at 54 that required a stent. A second in her early 60s required by pass surgery. She passed away in '03 due to other health issues. I also had a half sister that died on the table during surgery at a heart hospital in Boston. She was in her 50s. Not looking too good.
Ive been trying to get the 81 finished before I go in next week. Working like a maniac trying to get the bulk of the important things done. The other day I sprayed the inner fender that had to be redone and it came out perfect. Yesterday I switched over the plow to the mower deck on my JD with my son and showed him how to do it. Today is another day out n the garage. I have to finish running the wires for the 6AL and figure out where I can mount it.
This whole thing has been quite a shock guys. Ive NEVER had an issue. No pains. I get winded a little when I walk up the hill in my back yard but I assumed it was because Ive gained over 30 lbs since I stopped working back in '08 and Im really out of shape. I guess I'll know everything by the end of Wednesday. Hopefully they wont have to cut me open like a chicken for by pass surgery.
Im going to give my wife my password and login info just in case so she can give an update. Never a dull moment. SMH

• Sad
Reactions: 15 users

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
Be strong and stay positive. I know it's easy to say don't worry but worrying does no good and only causes stress. Keep us informed and I will say prayers for you.

• Agree
Reactions: 8 users

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
You never know what life hands you or when. Most of us on this forum are getting up in years. It sounds like you are in good spirits and in good hands. God speed and keep us posted

Reactions: 3 users

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Sounds like you're doing your due diligence though. Making sure you have the right doctors, procedures, etc. Wishing you well. Chin up, you got this.

• Agree
Reactions: 5 users

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
I had a close friend get winded and dizzy on a hike, thought he was having a heart attack. It turns out he is one of those lucky people who grew a 2-piece heart valve instead of the normal 3-piece, and it was not closing, bypassing 30% of the blood flow. While we were all very worried about him, he got a new cow valve installed and came through just fine. Feels like Superman now.

So, think positive, and trust the Doc. Be glad you have insurance. We look forward to your next posting. 73956096-46C6-402E-A708-E851D715822C.jpeg

Reactions: 12 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
We're in your corner. Stay forward-looking. Make plans to beat the odds, and cheat if you have to. The object is to win by hook or crook. We are all getting older one day at a time until we don't.

Be alert, be aware, and get those test results and 2nd opinions where warranted.

Reactions: 3 users

Kamloops cutlass

Master Mechanic
Jan 27, 2021
Kamloops bc
These modern procedures are very quick and not nearly as invasive/dangerous as they used to be
You’ll be fine and out mowing the yard this spring … unless you milk it and get the wife to do it , that’s what I’d do
Milk it like dairy farmer ;-)
( “honey could you grab me another PBR , I’d do myself but , well, you know … oh looks like you missed a spot over by the flowerbed” )
Good luck and Godspeed

Reactions: 1 user

blk7gxn

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2019
Many prayers will be coming your way. Everything in life has a reason, perhaps, without having the kidney stones, this would have never been found, resulting in something negative. God bless and will be praying for you brother -Will

Reactions: 1 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor