Heater hose clamps

Status
Not open for further replies.

turbogeezer

Greasemonkey
May 9, 2012
I"m replacing the heater hoses on my 84 Cutlass and want to know if the hoses use the same type of clamps that GM used for the radiator hoses. Bill WV

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I'm using a set from Summit that has stainless bands in the inside to protect the contact area.

Reactions: 3 users

JAMES L EUBANK

Apprentice
Feb 18, 2018
CLARKSBURG, WV
I"m replacing the heater hoses on my 84 Cutlass and want to know if the hoses use the same type of clamps that GM used for the radiator hoses. Bill WV
If you are looking to stay original down to the bolts and nuts, the original clamps were the spring type clamps. But, they often had leakage issues over time, and were replaced by a worm gear style clamp. As to the original manufacturer, you would have to find an original, unreplaced clamp and do some research. Personally, I would choose the worm gear clamp and tighten only with a screwdriver at first to avoid crushing the heater core piping. Tighten them more if needed only after getting the coolant to operating temperature and inspecting for leaks. Leaked coolant is cheaper than a damaged heater core.

Reactions: 1 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
From my recollections (I could go out and look at my 85 because it's still got all the original hose clamps on it but I'm too lazy at the moment) there were no spring clamps for the heater hoses. 1983 factory literature shows an underhood pic and the heater hoses also show worm clamps.

There were worm clamps on both ends of the heater hose the best of my recollection. There were tower clamps on the bypass hose, and wire clamps on the radiator hoses EXCEPT for the inlet to the water pump. It has a special worm clamp with a belt shield built into it. I'll go check later, but that's pretty much how I recall the clamp situation is. The 87 442's hood is already cracked open for the float charger, so I may just check it out. It's got all its original hose clamps too.

I know the specialized worm clamp for the radiator hose inlet was made by "IDEAL" or "Tridon" clamps (Tridon and Ideal are the same company), but GM also had Murray "Gold Seal" make the clamps. Not sure if there's any identification on who made the wire clamps. I'll look at the tower clamps and see if there's anything written on them, but normally those are made by Wittek.

Just for shiits and giggles, the A.I.R. hoses have the squeeze clamps made by Oetiker. Interestingly enough, the parts book says to replace these with regular worm clamps.

Special WORM clamp with shield to keep the belts from cutting the hose at the water pump. GM part 558565. Discontinued for like, forever.
Turna broke one, so here's his old one.
UtZXf9.jpg

Double Wire Style
images

Tower/Wittek style

GM9414820.jpg

Reactions: 4 users

turbogeezer

Greasemonkey
May 9, 2012
From my recollections (I could go out and look at my 85 because it's still got all the original hose clamps on it but I'm too lazy at the moment) there were no spring clamps for the heater hoses. 1983 factory literature shows an underhood pic and the heater hoses also show worm clamps.

There were worm clamps on both ends of the heater hose the best of my recollection. There were tower clamps on the bypass hose, and wire clamps on the radiator hoses EXCEPT for the inlet to the water pump. It has a special worm clamp with a belt shield built into it. I'll go check later, but that's pretty much how I recall the clamp situation is. The 87 442's hood is already cracked open for the float charger, so I may just check it out. It's got all its original hose clamps too.

I know the specialized worm clamp for the radiator hose inlet was made by "IDEAL" or "Tridon" clamps (Tridon and Ideal are the same company), but GM also had Murray "Gold Seal" make the clamps. Not sure if there's any identification on who made the wire clamps. I'll look at the tower clamps and see if there's anything written on them, but normally those are made by Wittek.

Just for shiits and giggles, the A.I.R. hoses have the squeeze clamps made by Oetiker. Interestingly enough, the parts book says to replace these with regular worm clamps.

Special WORM clamp with shield to keep the belts from cutting the hose at the water pump. GM part 558565. Discontinued for like, forever.
Turna broke one, so here's his old one.
UtZXf9.jpg

Double Wire Style
images

Tower/Wittek style

GM9414820.jpg
Thanks for the replies. I checked the hoses on my 86 Salon. It has the wire clamps on the radiator hoses including the inlet water pump with the guard. I was no sure the worn clamps were correct for the heater hoses. I"ll probably go with the aftermarket double wire clamps on the radiator and worm clamps on the heater hoses. Thanks again Bill WV

Reactions: 1 user

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Worm clamps for heater hoses and also I looked at my 85 442 which still has the original hoses on it and the little bypass hose has worm clamps too. The early 70s A bodies had tower clamps for the bypass hose. Sounds like you’re good.

Reactions: 1 users

84cutlasssupreme

Apprentice
Nov 2, 2019
I also have an '84 Cutlass & those heater hose clamps were the worm type with the small (1/4") screw head. By-pass hose had tower clamps for some weird reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor