heater vacuum line problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

montercr82

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 8, 2017
Ok I have an 82 monte with the ac ripped out. No vacuum canister in the engine bay. Two lines are missing I believe from under the dash coming from the heater control and two that are cut. The purple I have going to my carb and grey to the heat valve just before the heater core. No idea what to do. Only have heat on the floor and at max ac. Very little when sitting still and more but not a lot when moving please help winter isalmost here.
20171109_233025.jpg

Dec 29, 2017
I have an 81 I have the canister but no vaccum running to it. They're both laying there broke haha but I only have air coming out of defrost and floor and cannot for the life of me get warm air!

• Winner
Reactions: 1 user

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Purple (sometimes pinkish) line goes to the vacuum ball (two nipple version), vacuum line (standard black rubber hose) goes from the ball to the engine to manifold vacuum. Grey/white is right, at the heater valve in the heater hose.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
For a temporary fix to get some heat you can remove the valve or apply constant vacuum to the valve to keep it open.

• Agree

oldolds

Greasemonkey
May 17, 2017
pine city/rosaila washington
all my vacuum works except where i hooks up to the intake manifold the vacuum elbow were broke off and the tube is melted. the car is a 1980 olds cutlass Calais with a 350 olds engine in it. in fact, all the vacuum lines on the intake manifold are gone as was most of the wiring. when you put in a motor do not run the big power wires under the throttle cable but the car was free and i managed to get it home to work on. it is still in progress

oldolds

Greasemonkey
May 17, 2017
pine city/rosaila washington
got the old broken piece out not just need to get the right elbow. the car is a 1980 but it isn't the original engine it was a 307 i think and a 350 was put in. the intake doesn't look like the diagram on the fan cover the intake is no.25528212 and it doesn't have all the thermal vac switches that are called for not sure what year that is but I will figure it out. the threaded part is 1/4 inch not sure of the other end. where do i get the plastic vacuum line or should i just go rubber and simplify it all . and what about the knock sensor on the distributor should i keep it or delete it?

rogue_ryder

Master Mechanic
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
I've got my dash ripped out and was noticing that my Red vacuum line is melted! Does anyone know the correct size for these lines? Can the ends of the line be pulled out of the connectors on the harness or are they vulcanized in the connectors? I've seen replacement harnesses out there for other cars but not ours.

I might just cut out the melted section and use a tube that has an OD that is equal to ID of that red line if there's not a "right" fix for this...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor