hedman headers in 78 malibu

Status
Not open for further replies.

cny78

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 30, 2018
I have a 400 sbc in a 78 malibu classic. Trying to install Hedman #68310 long tubes. Am having fits getting starter back on. Inst. sheet says starter will slip on with header in position, can't make it happen. I get header in and start to work starter up but can not clear tail of starter to fit into bell housing, hits pipes. Called Hedman, tech was befuddled. Said they had have had no issues with those headers in my car/engine. Anybody had experience with this install? Any suggestions appreciated, I'm really stuck.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
From experiance from having a set, I had to unbolt fron the head to pull the starter when it when bad. I'll saw leave it off until the headers are on, get the pipes lined up, unbolt at the head &then put the starter on. Best fix is a smaller body starter. Still easier than the original install of the headers when I did it. You are following the instructions on which on installs from above & below.

Reactions: 2 users

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
Hope I understand you right and it's not hitting when installed, are you leaving the headers loose so they will move till you get the starter in??

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
When the car did have them I had the full size starter (which I guess you have) & I just unbolted them from the head & used the avaliable slack in the exhaust to move the header out of the way. This was also done with limited ground clearance cause of where I was living at the time. But I still would recomend for the next started to be a smaller body one to ease it in between the header & block.

Reactions: 1 users

cny78

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 30, 2018
Hope I understand you right and it's not hitting when installed, are you leaving the headers loose so they will move till you get the starter in??
Yes, headers slip in and I let them lay loose for wiggle room. But just can't get starter to clear.

cny78

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 30, 2018
When the car did have them I had the full size starter (which I guess you have) & I just unbolted them from the head & used the avaliable slack in the exhaust to move the header out of the way. This was also done with limited ground clearance cause of where I was living at the time. But I still would recomend for the next started to be a smaller body one to ease it in between the header & block.
Yeah, I thought a smaller starter would be nice. This is a stock one. They make smaller ones? Did not know this.

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
Sounds like you might have one of those big HD starters. Have you tried 1 bolt in the front of the header and let it hang or for that matter just leave it laying there?? As pagrunt said a smaller is the way to go - I have had good luck with the Ultima 613326 from O'Reilly

cny78

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 30, 2018
Pagrunt, thanks for the reccomend. Am looking into mini starters. Thanks.

cny78

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 30, 2018
Sounds like you might have one of those big HD starters. Have you tried 1 bolt in the front of the header and let it hang or for that matter just leave it laying there?? As pagrunt said a smaller is the way to go - I have had good luck with the Ultima 613326 from O'Reilly
Yeah, tried every configuration imaginable. Tore up all the nice paint job I put on the headers. Am going with the small starter. Thanks for the tip, much appreciated.

1-sic-83

Apprentice
Aug 3, 2019
Fort Wayne indiana
Yeah I had to leave the header loose with a lot of wiggle room get the starter up in there an bolt it on then then header but dnt take the header all the way out cause it will never go back in with the starter in place

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor