Heeelp! Floor Replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

cuttyman85

n00b
Apr 25, 2013
OK, looking for some help guys. I have a 85 cutlass that I'm looking to restore. I'm trying to do as much as possible myself. The one thing that I'm going to really need help with is replacing the floor, the floor on the driver side is gone & the passenger is on it way. My question is does anyone know of any place in or around Pittsburgh,Pa that can do this type of work? I'm having the hardest time finding someone willing to do it, all the body shops that I've visited all tell me they only do collision work (so why call yourself a body shop, that's my ?) but any point in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Guys!

oldtinsmith

Royal Smart Person
Jun 14, 2010
Auburn, Michigan
cuttyman85,
Hit the car shows and talk to some owners about where they go. Car clubs. Custom car builders (look in the phone book). Buy a bead roller, a mig welder, and some 18Ga. sheet metal so you can make/install your own. Here's mine:

Doug

86 Grand prix

Master Mechanic
Nov 13, 2012
Chocowinity NC
Most "body" shops are getting that way. The like collision work because most times new parts are available and they get paid quick by insurance companies and turn and burn. I had a friend carry an early firebird to a local shop for rear quarter replacement with the understanding that the shop would fit it in between collision work. A year later he got tired of it sitting out in the weather getting worse and sold the car for scrap.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
what you need is a restoration shop, not a body shop, but for less than the price you'll pay you can get a full floor pan cut out of a donor car and buy a welder to do the job and still have money for beer

Nov 4, 2012
Cuttyman, I live in Pittsburgh too, and I know there are not many good body shops around here. One guy I can recommend to you is Bruno, from Bruno's Auto Body, he is at 3237 Babcock Blvd in the North Hills. I've never heard bad about him. I understand there are no reputable resto shops around here. Pittsburgh isn't a big car town. There are a lot of dinky half-*ss 'resto shops' in bad areas run by shady people.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Body shops, in general, are geared more towards collision work. They're more concerned with production..getting stuff in and out. There's the bread and butter of most collision shops.
If they specialize in restoration, that's another subject entirely. How many times I've heard the same story about a restoration being pushed back, or they do a few things here and there piece meal to be able to bill the customer.

As Doug suggested, invest in some tools and do it yourself.
BTW, nice work Doug. You know your craft.. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor