Attachments

• Screenshot_20220417-103926.png
    Screenshot_20220417-103926.png
    86.4 KB · Views: 64

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
The coil in cap is a flawed design. While its convenient packaging its prone to a lot of internal issues. Its why GM switched back to external coil HEI in 1987.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
The coil in cap is a flawed design. While its convenient packaging its prone to a lot of internal issues. Its why GM switched back to external coil HEI in 1987.
They weren't perfect either. We changed a bunch of cap and rotors on TBI trucks in the one shop I worked at. Nearly every time one came in running rough, it was the cap and rotor. They were really green with corrosion. I don't remember near the issue on the V6 in FWD cars but they were used less years than the trucks. Yeah, you were basically making the spark jump a gap in there. I was going to ask if you had the ground strap in place. I forgot it once, my truck died a few miles down the road. The cap actually melted around the center contact. Unless parts are installed incorrectly, the in cap coil HEI is fairly reliable. Myself and our family vehicles have had 3 die out of the blue with pick up coil failures. There are tons of aftermarket options available for remote coil distributors. Good luck.

Ernest

G-Body Guru
Apr 28, 2016
Texas

Attachments

• HEI ext coil adapter.jpg
    HEI ext coil adapter.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 60
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 user

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
IMO I would just stick with your set up and install a new coil correctly.
I am a MSD guy but I built my Regal on a budget and used an Ebay HEI distributor which worked fine out of the box and after about 6 months I decided to upgrade the coil and module to PerTronix brand and it has still worked fine with no issues for the last couple years and in the summer I daily drive my Regal all of the time.
I am still using the Ebay cap and rotor with brass contacts, I feel this set up is totally reliable for my mild 355 SBC.

Reactions: 1 user

dadep76

Greasemonkey
May 11, 2021
IMO I would just stick with your set up and install a new coil correctly.
I am a MSD guy but I built my Regal on a budget and used an Ebay HEI distributor which worked fine out of the box and after about 6 months I decided to upgrade the coil and module to PerTronix brand and it has still worked fine with no issues for the last couple years and in the summer I daily drive my Regal all of the time.
I am still using the Ebay cap and rotor with brass contacts, I feel this set up is totally reliable for my mild 355 SBC.
Yeah i think i put te rubber grommet on then the spring on top then coil. Stupid me. Im gonna try after i get home to see if it worked.

Ernest

G-Body Guru
Apr 28, 2016
Texas
Yeah i think i put te rubber grommet on then the spring on top then coil. Stupid me. Im gonna try after i get home to see if it worked.
Along with a new coil, make sure you ALSO get a new carbon button, the spring is already attached like its a one piece unit, that goes into the bottom of the cap first, then the rubber doghnut insulator goes on top of that.

dadep76

Greasemonkey
May 11, 2021
Along with a new coil, make sure you ALSO get a new carbon button, the spring is already attached like its a one piece unit, that goes into the bottom of the cap first, then the rubber doghnut insulator goes on top of that.
Yeah i have extra new carbon button and spring. I made a rookie mistake. But live and learn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor