hei distributor

Status
Not open for further replies.

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
.080" isn't a guarantee you'll have failures, but there was a reason GM recanted that .080" gap. Wasn't for health reasons, I'm sure. I've been setting at .040" with absolutely no issues now for a long time.

GM trainer told me they went to .080 because they could

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario

oldolds

Greasemonkey
May 17, 2017
pine city/rosaila washington
my father was used to old style points ign and he was helping me with a no spark problem on my 76 olds, so he grabbed the end of the spark plug wire and told me to crank it and rev it up a bit. it knocked him on his butt across the yard and taught me a few new swear words i hadn't thought up in a while. we all had a good laugh about it except him.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
I don't know what hurts worse. The zap from the HEI, Head hit on lip of hood or elbow in hood hinge.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Bonnewagon

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I usually test an HEI by setting it up on my bench and spinning the shaft by hand. I always get a robust blue spark. Just for fun I like to slowly increase the gap from the coil button to my ground and see how far it will fire. At one foot the spark is like a lightning bolt and I begin to fear it will choose me as the ground so I stop there. My point is the spark gets stronger the farther the ground is from the coil. The HEI coil is capable of incredible voltage and I have never had firing issues using .060" plug gaps on all my low compression motors. Of course compression, fuel/air ratio, etc all play a part but my totally stock engines are always set at .060" with no issues.

Reactions: 1 user

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
my father was leaning across the fender at the time and got a shrinky winky.

GM instructor did same thing on a metal bench and had everyone lean in to take a look at what he was doing
Rat bas****d

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor