HEI under cap condenser

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
stick to one thread please. and... yes. its a part if the distributor, you need it.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
that isn't a condenser, it's a capacitor used to reduce radio interference. The "fliter" on the tack wire is also a capacitor to suppress interference to the radio

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
that isn't a condenser, it's a capacitor used to reduce radio interference. The "fliter" on the tack wire is also a capacitor to suppress interference to the radio
I thought that's what a condenser was for, too? Either way, it's for AM, and who does that anymore?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I thought that's what a condenser was for, too? Either way, it's for AM, and who does that anymore?

apparantly it is, just read that many moons ago a capacitor was called a condenser.....:unsure:

and here is some more info I found

"The capacitor in the base of an HEI distributor is there to suppress radio interference. It is not a condensor like a points-type distributor has. (Well, it is a condensor, because condensor is a very old word for capacitor, but not used for the same purpose.) The symptom of an open one should be increased radio noise, especially on AM stations, not ignition failure. It is wired in parallel with the pink wire going to the HEI module and goes to ground. An open in the capacitor would not affect the circuit between the ignition coil and the module. A shorted capacitor, however, probably would cause failure of the ignition, because there would be a no-resistance path to ground for the current coming from the module.

GM typically has this radio interference suppression capacitor in the distributor (and it looks a lot like a points-style condensor), and another similar capacitor on the tach lead, also for interference suppression. Looking at the schematic, whether or not a failed capacitor would cause the engine not to run would depend on its mode of failure. I hope this helps."

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I've seen the replacement parts eliminate the capacitor/condenser for some sort of transistorized electronic stuff. Probably does exactly the same thing, but also, probably was cheaper to do.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor