HEI Vacuum Advance Adjustment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
I bought a brand new HEI distributor and it has an adjustable vacuum canister that I have never touched since I bought it and installed it.

Right now I have my engine base timed at 6 degrees TDC @ 500 (factory specs), and I cannot shut the engine off after a drive without the engine dieseling after I cut it off.

There's no way I'm too far advanced at 6 degrees TDC.

I have recurved the distributor by replacing the factory medium springs with some aftermarket light springs but I have never adjusted the vacuum advance canister and I think that's what's causing my issue of being too far advanced and causing the dieseling..

MonteLS_84

Apprentice
Jul 28, 2021
I bought a brand new HEI distributor and it has an adjustable vacuum canister that I have never touched since I bought it and installed it.

Right now I have my engine base timed at 6 degrees TDC @ 500 (factory specs), and I cannot shut the engine off after a drive without the engine dieseling after I cut it off.

There's no way I'm too far advanced at 6 degrees TDC.

I have recurved the distributor by replacing the factory medium springs with some aftermarket light springs but I have never adjusted the vacuum advance canister and I think that's what's causing my issue of being too far advanced and causing the dieseling..
What is your total timing at? That would matter more than your initial in this regard.

Reactions: 1 user

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
What is your total timing at? That would matter more than your initial in this regard.
Total timing was set to 36 without vacuum advance connected. Initial Timing with vacuum advance connected at full manifold vacuum is damn near 60° BTDC...in gear RPMs are 700-800 and the car runs great, but diesels at shut off.

I'm told to just disconnect the vacuum advance and set total timing 34 and go up 2° until it pings or backfired at WOT...

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
What is your curb idle speed in drive and neutral? How many miles on engine?

xcookpac

Master Mechanic
Mar 15, 2012
Lower idle speed. Alternatively. Shut engine off with transmission in gear (and then shift to park).

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
Idle to high in drive. See if vacuum to distributer at idle. If it is move vacuum line to ported vacuum(IE vacuum when throttle is opened) Readjust carb to 600-650 in drive.

Rt Jam

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2020
Ontario Canada
Your total timing will not have any effect on timing at idle.
What we need to know is what is your ignition timing at idle.

What engine?

SSMonteMan

Greasemonkey
Jun 12, 2015
Your total timing will not have any effect on timing at idle.
What we need to know is what is your ignition timing at idle.

What engine?
Let's leave this thread dead, lest we call OP back to the forum...

This thread was made before he found out he wiped the cam, so it's kinda unimportant what the engine is... as it's scrap at this point. But, it was a 305.

• Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor