Hello motor heads!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike buttafuoco

Apprentice
Sep 27, 2016
Carlisle, pa
Been on this site for about a week and love helping out all gear heads with anything and everything! I'm looking forward to networking. My current ride is a 79' malibu that I am trying to sell unfortunately because I have been building an LS powered monte in my head for about 10 years. My current car is a sleeper with 480 on tap and is wicked on the street. I have 20plus years experience with cars and trucks and I've done almost everything but, not quite. Let's talk shop!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 259
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 288
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 276
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 274
Reactions: 3 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Welcome to the site from Houston. That's a good looking machine. To bad you can't keep it and build a Monte too!

Reactions: 1 user

Mike buttafuoco

Apprentice
Sep 27, 2016
Carlisle, pa
Welcome to the site from Houston. That's a good looking machine. To bad you can't keep it and build a Monte too!
I actually could but the hell that is our lives is we can only drive one at a time.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Nice car, and I agree, why sell it?

But if it is truly 480HP, then I'm sure it's a gas guzzling, rough idling beast. So I'd highly recommend losing those traits, including the 480HP. You might as well turn those headers around on your LS build, have it idle smooth, get 15 mpg and put 600+HP to the wheels. Can you you say turbo (or 2)!

These cars are just about the easiest out there to turbo because of all of the room under the hood. And the chassis doesn't need all sorts of crazy welding and mods to handle it either.

Mike buttafuoco

Apprentice
Sep 27, 2016
Carlisle, pa
Nice car, and I agree, why sell it?

But if it is truly 480HP, then I'm sure it's a gas guzzling, rough idling beast. So I'd highly recommend losing those traits, including the 480HP. You might as well turn those headers around on your LS build, have it idle smooth, get 15 mpg and put 600+HP to the wheels. Can you you say turbo (or 2)!

These cars are just about the easiest out there to turbo because of all of the room under the hood. And the chassis doesn't need all sorts of crazy welding and mods to handle it either.
LS, yeah I definitely agree. But in response to gas guzzling and rough idle, it's our call of the wild! And if your going to enjoy it and it's gonna make you smile, it's gonna cost you money. There's a quote I wanna share from a good bud that is in the ATF: if it floats, flies or ****s, you're better off renting it!

Reactions: 1 user

theoldsone

G-Body Guru
Dec 26, 2014
LS, yeah I definitely agree. But in response to gas guzzling and rough idle, it's our call of the wild! And if your going to enjoy it and it's gonna make you smile, it's gonna cost you money. There's a quote I wanna share from a good bud that is in the ATF: if it floats, flies or ****s, you're better off renting it!

Nice ride it's incredibly clean. I'd drive that any day I can get. With a lot of the latest EFI kits out there you can run almost any old school motor and get the comfort of a modern engine. Thats the route I plan to go. Some people put carbs on LS motors and others efi on Small blocks, what ever floats your boat, or better yet get the rear tires spinning.

Mike buttafuoco

Apprentice
Sep 27, 2016
Carlisle, pa
I can tell you this, I ran a QFI system in my last car and I hated it! The car wasn't nearly as powerful as it was with a carb and the technical support was awful. And I live in the "Mecca" of cars and hot rods on the east coast and almost no one would tune it. Trial and error got me close and then I sold the car. If I do LS, it will be injected no doubt with a big stuff or mega squirt and I will spend the $$ to tune it because I will have to but the support is there for all the aforementioned. Everyone whom I spoke to after I installed that system told me that I wouldn't be happy and I wasnt. Just my .02. And it's a catch 22 because carb guys are getting harder and harder to find. What are you running? I have a soft spot for Oldsmobiles as I had one in hs and I built a nasty one a few years later with olds power.

ItsnotaGN

G-Body Guru
May 28, 2016
Colorado
We live in a wonderful time when you can swap in a smooth idling, gas sipping yet incredibly powerful engine. However, I grew up in a time of solid lifter, tall gear having, Hurst shifter clicking, header uncorking, baby scaring engines. Maybe I'm part neanderthal, but it's a lot of fun to drive a big cam, big compression, short gear, 4 speed car every so often. Pretty cool you live in Carlisle, been about 20 years since I've been there. Last time I was there I was looking for a factory air cleaner ($800.00) and poverty caps for my 66 L79 Chevy II. I found the caps at a barn outside of town with "HUBCAPS" written in hubcaps on the side.

Mike buttafuoco

Apprentice
Sep 27, 2016
Carlisle, pa
We live in a wonderful time when you can swap in a smooth idling, gas sipping yet incredibly powerful engine. However, I grew up in a time of solid lifter, tall gear having, Hurst shifter clicking, header uncorking, baby scaring engines. Maybe I'm part neanderthal, but it's a lot of fun to drive a big cam, big compression, short gear, 4 speed car every so often. Pretty cool you live in Carlisle, been about 20 years since I've been there. Last time I was there I was looking for a factory air cleaner ($800.00) and poverty caps for my 66 L79 Chevy II. I found the caps at a barn outside of town with "HUBCAPS" written in hubcaps on the side.
I've got to tell you, I am still pretty young but I enjoy the same: rowdy *ss camshaft, loud exhaust systems, and tire shredding power. My last car was a custom 56' bel air sedan 2 door that was a trophy winner and I spent 4-5 years building it. The work to keep that car clean and the chasing of the scratches and the bug juice drove me to madness! I swore that was the last prom queen I was ever you going to have! There is a lot of reason I chose this car and there are too many to list. But truthfully, it has everything and it doesn't have to be spotless in order to be fun. I just enjoy the hobby and will hopefully always be tied to it somehow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor