Hello

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBF

n00b
Aug 12, 2022
I have what I believe is a 1986 Cutlass Salon and it has a spoiler on it. Ive tried researching to see if the Salon came with the option but I can only find people saying the Hurst/442 are the only ones that come with them. Is that true or no?

Thanks in advance

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I have what I believe is a 1986 Cutlass Salon and it has a spoiler on it. Ive tried researching to see if the Salon came with the option but I can only find people saying the Hurst/442 are the only ones that come with them. Is that true or no?

Thanks in advance
Welcome. Interesting choice that you're handle is "Gbody Forum." :)

You heard correctly. No 82-88 G-body Cutlass ever came from the factory with a spoiler mounted on the trunklid on the assembly line. The only time a spoiler was added before reaching the dealer is in 1983/84, if you ordered the W40 (Hurst/Olds) option then your car would be sent to Cars and Concepts (Hurst) right after it was built for conversion to a Hurst/Olds, which added the trunk spoiler at the aftermarket company. This was the only Oldsmobile supported option to include a spoiler. G-body 442s never got a spoiler. Wasn't even an option.

Sorta the same deal for the Cutlass GT package in 1988. To which, there was less than 300 made. Tops and Trends in North Carolina installed the scoop and spoiler during the package addition. In both cases, the spoiler was added at the conversion facility, except the Cutlass GT package was not an Oldsmobile supported option. So if you broke your GT spoiler, you would have to go directly through T&T to get one, not GM. Oldsmobile only supported the Hurst/Olds parts in the GMSPO system.

There was also an "LV2" of some sort that was similar to the Cutlass GT. Decals and bolt on stuff. A "localized" conversion thing. Seems someone duped someone by trying to say they "used up" the extra 442 and H/O parts...which is malarky. I've heard that more than a few times. Olds wouldn't waste their time on that, as they were required by law to provide crash replacement parts a certain amount of time after production. So why would they waste them on a couple of hundred cars? It's because Olds didn't build it or support it. And aftermarket company did. Those scoops and spoilers had absolutely no resemblence to the heavy-*ss stuff they used on the H/O. There were some claims they had an LG8 engine from a VIN 9, but I've never seen any shred of evidence. Besides, they would need to include the engine code in the VIN, and that hasn't happened that I've seen. After 1984, the LV2 was the RPO code for the regular 140 HP 307 V8.

This list also doesn't include the Hurst/Aero, aka 20th anniversary Hurst/Olds kit made by Action Products that you could add to an already produced 88 Cutlass 2 door (or any 81-88 Cutlass for that matter). It had a one piece spoiler included in the kit. But that is a rare kit and isn't readily available.

Reactions: 1 user

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Actual 84 H/O with a C&C installed spoiler. These were no lightweights. A bit stiffer spring rods for the trunk were needed.
1984-olds-oldsmobile-hurst-cutlass-t-tops-for-sale-6.jpg

Spoiler just don't look right on these GTs for some reason. Appears it has a 1988 Oldsmoble CSC "Last Edition" emblem on the trunklid there.
Cutlass GT black.jpg

Here's what the CSC last edition emblem would look like. Not sure if this was an actual Oldsmobile-supplied emblem or not, but it seems kinda cool. There's no part number I can associate with it.
7768.jpeg.f0e669af98145b0bad6aa5db6fdb0e76.jpeg

LV2- Note it also has a spoiler with the pedestals more inboard than an acutal Hurst/Olds spoiler. Maybe got them from the same place as the GT spoilers.
om880104.jpg

And the one-off 88 Hurst/Olds or Aero kit spoiler. This kit is on an 83, making it an "official" Hurst/Aero.
2015-01-22-1983-Hurst-Olds-11-1578-640.jpg

Maybe this will shed a little light on the spoiler scene for the G-body Oldses of the 80s.

Reactions: 1 users

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA

Thanks in advance
Welcome, we like to see pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor