Hellwig Frame FX Kit for ’68-’72 Chevelle-G Body Kit Next

Status
Not open for further replies.

rwolf15241

Greasemonkey
Jan 24, 2013
G Body kit to Follow

Hellwig Frame FX Kit for ’68-’72 Chevelle

One of the most effective ways to improve the stiffness and handling of a Chevelle is to box the factory chassis. This process could take considerable time with measuring, cutting and fitting steel panels, however Hellwig Products is making the task easy and even more effective with their new custom fit Frame FX kit.

Most Chevelles have an open C-channel chassis that is
only 3” wide at the top and bottom. This design is
inherently weak in handling torsion and marginal in
bending. Hellwig’s Frame FX kit doubles the width of the tension side of the frame rail and closes the area for dramatic increases in torsional and bending stiffness.

The new Frame FX kit is made up 14 pre-cut 10-gauge steel panels that match the thickness of the factory frame and fit into the weak points of the factory chassis. Hellwig also engineered another panel that adds an extra mount to tie the floor to the chassis to add even more strength to the entire car. In addition, brackets are provided to mount the transmission crossmember with enough adjustment to accommodate nearly any drivetrain configuration.

The increased strength that the Frame FX kit provides results in handling and ride quality improvements while retaining the factory chassis and mounting points. If you’re adding a high powered drivetrain and bigger tires, the Frame FX Kit should be in your Chevelle’s future.

Hellwig Frame FX at a Glance

Stiffen the factory chassis to improve the overall strength, handling and ride quality
Supplied with 14 pre-formed steel panels that fit in weak areas of each factory frame rail
Adds an extra body mount to secure the floor pan to the chassis for added stability
Transmission crossmember mount allows multiple drivetrain configurations

For more information about the Frame FX line and other Hellwig load and sway control components, check out: http://www.hellwigproducts.com or call 800-367-5480.

Hellwig Products Company, located in Visalia, California was founded in 1946 with solutions for handling of loaded industrial and delivery trucks. The family operated company produces components for trucks, RV, muscle cars and military vehicles. Hellwig is ISO9001 certified and is proud to develop, test and manufacture products in the USA.

FYI: See Marcus at SC&C

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Re: Hellwig Frame FX Kit for ’68-’72 Chevelle-G Body Kit Nex

I am looking at this now, going to download the instructions and check it out.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary

When is the G-body kit expected to be released?

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero

I tried viewing the instructions from work, blocked (mediafire) But I will try and download them home I guess. :|

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio

Nice! I didnt see a price so I wont get my hopes up but this seems like a better way to fully box the frame.

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero

It does look neat. For the A-body, it is making the frame look like the convertible frames, but with an added body mount. I'd be curious of the kit too, since my next car up is the 70 Monte Carlo. :D

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero

Here is a link to their A-body build. Nice looking kit for sure. Curious to see how a G-body kit would be, since the floor brace is on the inside of the car, and the G-bodies have bolts in the middle mount, like the 64-7 A-bodies do. The added mount is nice If you don't have a mount in the middle.

http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=499473&page=5

Brother Al

Greasemonkey
Jan 26, 2010
Westfield, Mass

Pretty cool plan... A kit would be nice for the '78-88 A/G Body's, but its not hard to box your frame... the keys are planning, quality welds, more planning, proper guage & strength steel, even more planning, & a good amount of attention to detail.

Similar to the '87 GNX, most '68-'72 455 GTOs and '68-72 442's used all of the body bushing mount positions with bolt-in pieces.

Unfortunately, for '78-'88 cars, factory 'verts don't exist, so there is no actual factory '78-'88 design to replicate per se, but all of the ideas needed to reinforce the "metric" frame can be found readily by looking at the '68-'72 GM A Body convertible frames... I know many folks don't have access to an actual 'vert frame, but there are plenty of pics out there. That frame was the Apex version of full perimeter frames... then there are all of the known factory braces used on the various '78-'88 G Body's... the trunk's "W" seatback brace, the driver side and passenger side trunk side "V" bracing (spare tire brace but on both sides), Grand Prix-F41 triangular combo braces, radiator support "X" brace, '78-'80 Monte/Cutlass firewall-to-fender braces, Grand Prix rad suport-to-fender braces, whatever others I've missed, and adding a proper rear frame rail end connector bar.

For arguements sake, the '73-77 frame/chassis was better in some ways, but there wasn't a 'vert version ...and similar to the '77-'96 B Body and '78-'88 A/G Body...the chassis was designed with rigidity using the roof as a main part of their structural integrity. The Colonade roof design added a lot of rigidity to the whole chassis, but chopping the top off one leads to a lot of frame flex... a group I am involved with once used a 4 door '73-77 Chevelle Malibu as a float hauler. They cut the roof off with the thought that it could be an open-top parade car that pulled their annual float... the result was a car that buckled in the middle just enough so that the doors couldn't close when it was loaded with people...IIRC it was scrapped a couple years later.

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero

Brother Al said:
Pretty cool plan... A kit would be nice for the '78-88 A/G Body's, but its not hard to box your frame... the keys are planning, quality welds, more planning, proper guage & strength steel, even more planning, & a good amount of attention to detail.

Similar to the '87 GNX, most '68-'72 455 GTOs and '68-72 442's used all of the body bushing mount positions with bolt-in pieces.

Unfortunately, for '78-'88 cars, factory 'verts don't exist, so there is no actual factory '78-'88 design to replicate per se, but all of the ideas needed to reinforce the "metric" frame can be found readily by looking at the '68-'72 GM A Body convertible frames... I know many folks don't have access to an actual 'vert frame, but there are plenty of pics out there. That frame was the Apex version of full perimeter frames... then there are all of the known factory braces used on the various '78-'88 G Body's... the trunk's "W" seatback brace, the driver side and passenger side trunk side "V" bracing (spare tire brace but on both sides), Grand Prix-F41 triangular combo braces, radiator support "X" brace, '78-'80 Monte/Cutlass firewall-to-fender braces, Grand Prix rad support-to-fender braces, whatever others I've missed, and adding a proper rear frame rail end connector bar.

For arguments sake, the '73-77 frame/chassis was better in some ways, but there wasn't a 'vert version ...and similar to the '77-'96 B Body and '78-'88 A/G Body...the chassis was designed with rigidity using the roof as a main part of their structural integrity. The Colonnade roof design added a lot of rigidity to the whole chassis, but chopping the top off one leads to a lot of frame flex... a group I am involved with once used a 4 door '73-77 Chevelle Malibu as a float hauler. They cut the roof off with the thought that it could be an open-top parade car that pulled their annual float... the result was a car that buckled in the middle just enough so that the doors couldn't close when it was loaded with people...IIRC it was scrapped a couple years later.

I agree. It is pretty easy to replicate. The way this kit is widening the lower portion of the frame rail, like a vert (I have a 64 SS). The boxing plates are 2 pieces. Someone at home with a quality welder can duplicate this. heck, I even thought of doing something similar. Just don't know if I can get a brake to make the one bend in each ( my big brake is all apart :cry: ).

That being said, allot of guys don't have the plasma cutters, torches, whatever, to cut and fit this stuff. Or the patience. I bought a piece of 1/8" for my wagon, for 20 bucks local, and will do the wagon frame and my 70 monte frame.

A nice kit kit the less, and loock forward to seeing it come to market. Right now, GNS sells a boxing kit for the G body.

rwolf15241

Greasemonkey
Jan 24, 2013

I was told the kit is $ 375, I would not waste my time to copy it!! Just buy it.. Call Hellwig about the G body Kit!! I'm in line for the first Kit!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor