HELP! 84 BUICK REGAL LIMITED

Status
Not open for further replies.

foxtrot

Royal Smart Person
Dec 19, 2008
USA
Did you ever see a speed module for a Limited with the soft touch climate control? It is not just coiled wires like most with with 5 terminals. Mine is long and has a ground plate with a large metal cased transistor, other transistors or regulators, resistors, caps, and 7 terminals. Where could I ever get a replacement if ever needed?
Ebay or swap-meet would be my best guess is to where you would find a replacement..

foxtrot

Royal Smart Person
Dec 19, 2008
USA
Also since current flows out of ground (-) and into positive (+).... This would mean that the power drawn by motor is pulling current from and through the speed control module first that supplies the power and that is the ground that got burnt which makes sense. Correct?
As far as conventional current flow, this doesn't make sense. Current flows from the positive terminal to the negative terminal. The electrons flow from the negative terminal to the positive terminal. One other thing that should also be noted is that the current going into the module is equal to the current leaving the module.

Steve84

Greasemonkey
Jul 8, 2018
As far as conventional current flow, this doesn't make sense. Current flows from the positive terminal to the negative terminal. The electrons flow from the negative terminal to the positive terminal. One other thing that should also be noted is that the current going into the module is equal to the current leaving the module.

I know that is what I said, I said current flows from negative to positive. The ground is negative and the positive terminal is positive.

And I do know that the fan motor is after the speed control module in the circuit, so the only thing that could draw the current through the module is the motor. The bearings must be worn and are drawing way too much current now. Time to replace motor. I also found out the fan motor has a 25 amp fuse normally, so if I use a 20 amp fuse with a new motor I should be good to go. Thanks for your help.

Steve84

Greasemonkey
Jul 8, 2018
Ebay or swap-meet would be my best guess is to where you would find a replacement..

I wish I had a PART# for this piece. Just want to have a spare laying around just in case. Mine appears to be just fine.

Steve84

Greasemonkey
Jul 8, 2018
Since it's a fairly simple circuit, you could always try to reproduce/redesign it yourself utilizing one of the following quick-turn PCB houses:
https://www.expresspcb.com/
http://www.sunstone.com/

I could not imagine GM not making a service manual with part # for this control pcb that probably went into plenty of the mid 80's GM cars with automatic climate control soft touch control systems.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Steve84

Greasemonkey
Jul 8, 2018
I could not imagine GM not making a service manual with part # for this control pcb that probably went into plenty of the mid 80's GM cars with automatic climate control soft touch control systems.
I would hope they did too. I am pretty certain Cadillac had it also :) Now to start another new thread about my emergency brake light

Steve84

Greasemonkey
Jul 8, 2018
Since it's a fairly simple circuit, you could always try to reproduce/redesign it yourself utilizing one of the following quick-turn PCB houses:
https://www.expresspcb.com/
http://www.sunstone.com/

OK it's done! I put in the AC DELCO blower motor and now it does not burn the ground wire anymore to the blower speed control circuit. The motor WAS bad. The only thing is the new motor came with a shorter blower wheel height. Mine is a taller cage. So I swapped my old cage and put it on the new motor to keep the high air flow.
My only concern is that I noticed when the old cage is on the motor and spun by hand, the old cage has a slight wobble. The new cage does not when I try the same test. However when the motor is installed there is no rubbing or noise at all. Then fan works great and smooth.
My last QUESTION on this, is should I worry about the wobble on this plastic original cage (34 years old) that is the proper large size in height? Or is everything OK now? Like I said no more blowing even a 15 amp fuse when I think these motors take 20 - 25 amp fuses normally and no noise or rubbing and works smooth.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor