HELP!!! Engine or Transmission is knocking!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
This is a legit problem. Here is a link to a video I took about 20 minutes ago.
It JUST started to do it this morning on my way to school so I just took a sick day (plus I'm sick anyway, so it's not a complete lie :p). I have the same oil pressure I've always had. I have the car up on jackstands. It knocks in Park, Neutral, Drive, 2nd, and 1st. BUT NOT REVERSE. That leads me to believe it's transmission related, and the sound is coming from near the firewall. I've heard what bolts backing themselves out sound like, and I checked under there (engine off) while I rotated the motor by hand, all the bolts were tight and not hitting anything as the heads were all perfect. No nuts, they screw into the TC. They seat fully. I hope it's just a dicked up flexplate that finally gave out, rather than the motor. Hell, I'll even go with the trans being junk if the motor is fine.

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
From what I heard sounds like a rod - with the Buick oiling system probably 7 or 8. Your timing is too high - shouldn't be backing up like that.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Opie Knievel

Rum Fueled Midnight Mechanic and Moderator
Sep 6, 2010
Brodhead, Kentucky
From what I heard sounds like a rod - with the Buick oiling system probably 7 or 8. Your timing is too high - shouldn't be backing up like that.

It doesn't sound like a flexplate to me either. More like a rod. Or possibly piston slap?

Also I agree the timing seems a little too advanced.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
What do you mean by backing up?

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
And yes, it's the #7 rod. Confirmed by pulling the plug wire to that cylinder. Pull it, rev, knock stops. Put it back on, rev, knock is back. So long old friend, I hardly knew ye.

Bar50

Royal Smart Person
Jan 1, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Take the oil filter off and cut it apart. If it's got debris in it...

Also, unhook the torque converter or look for cracks in the flex plate.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
What do you mean by backing up?

When you go to start your engine your ignition is too advanced and firing too early hence your starter has to overcome higher cylinder pressure and you here it hesitating to turn it over (what I call backing up) wasn't helping the bearings either.

Reactions: 1 user

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
When you go to start your engine your ignition is too advanced and firing too early hence your starter has to overcome higher cylinder pressure and you here it hesitating to turn it over (what I call backing up) wasn't helping the bearings either.
Oh. Ok. I was also playing with the timing initially thinking that it was pinging really bad so the dizzy was loose, that's why you can see me turn it a bit in the video. After I set it where it needs to be I started it again and it popped off like normal.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
have you tried some water poured slowly into the carb with the engine running at operating temperature to clean out the carbon?. It could be a carbon knock.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
have you tried some water poured slowly into the carb with the engine running at operating temperature to clean out the carbon?. It could be a carbon knock.
Would it really have that much carbon in it to cause a knock over only 5600 miles? Really the only gas I've ever put in it is 87 ethanol (all that's around here, car always ran great and best on that) and I put 91 in it once.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor