Help! Flowtech header questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

1983calais

Master Mechanic
Feb 26, 2015
Tiffin, OH
Ok. I haven't posted on here in some time but work, family time, and g body time doesn't give me much time. The 83 Calais got put on the back burner and the 87 Monte SS got put in its place. It got all new suspension, blazer brake upgrade, rebuilt rearend, jeep steering shaft, L79 327, T5 transmission, cowl hood, and a bunch of other things. But I am getting ready to drop the 327 in it and before I do I want to have all my parts and everything ready to go so I can fire it as soon as possible. My question is will my flowtech headers have enough clearance for the AC box? Number 8 tube on the passengers side sticks off the flange about 8 inches. I measured a cutlass parts car I have sitting around with a sbc in it and it looks like it will be very close. I am putting all my AC stuff back in and will be completely functioning but I don't want to melt my box. I've searched all over the forum and every thread I've read, nothing is mentioned about clearing the AC box. It seems most of the guys on here suggest flowtech headers and those are actually the ones I had from a prior transaction from a Malibu guy. Any input would be greatly appreciated. I also have angle plug heads but I don't think that will be an issue with these headers. Its just the AC box. Is there another brand that would be better? I have been working on this all winter and I am ready to drive this thing!!! Thanks!

Bar50

Royal Smart Person
Jan 1, 2009
Tulsa, OK
My 1980 Malibu has a 350 with 11104 (pretty sure) long tube Flowtech headers. All the air is in place and works. Have to mod a spacer to fill in the gap of how thick the exhaust manifold was. It clears the a/c just fine.

1983calais

Master Mechanic
Feb 26, 2015
Tiffin, OH
Thanks guys for all the help! I will proceed with the headers I have then! Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor