help harmonic balancer is twisted

Status
Not open for further replies.

illregal82

Master Mechanic
Jul 4, 2006
MINNEAPOLIS
i just had a freind change my timing cover and gasket beause it was leaking and when he pulled off my balancer it looks like its twisted there ripples in the plastic crap in the middle . i was looking on ebay and alot of them say there for internally balanced not quite sure but i think that means your engine has to be blueprinted and balanced right? i need a oem style right ? what size 6" 6 3/4" please help

elcaminokyle

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 2, 2007
Your harmonic balancer is made of an inner hub and an outer hub with a rubber ring in between. When the rubber ring gets old enough it looses it's grip on the outer hub. This makes it possible for the outer hub to slip. When mine crapped out the outer hub went towards the timing cover and made a groove in it. I just bought a new one. The externally balanced harmonic balancer is for the 400 small block chev. It has a weight in the balancer and the flexplate/flywheel. All the other sbc engines use the internally balanced balancer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor