HELp! heavy missfire- runs horrible

Status
Not open for further replies.

Myles

Apprentice
Jun 17, 2011
Hi guys,

81 Malibu 355sbc started running like crap at the track. After tuning to eliminate hesitation, bigger nozzles amd 50cc pump, etc, it was fine.

Then noticed my timing was somehow move to 55deg at idle!
Maybe was moved when guys installed new stall..

Backed it off to normal , hesitation came back. Tried car anyway. After the burn out, car died. Then, and now, idleing and misfiring all day.

It only starts (and runs like crap) now if I advance the distributor all the way.

At track we checked vacuum, still 10-12 at idle. Tried my existing 750hp, a new rebuilt 650hp, another complete distributor, checked all closed vac ports, tested power to distributor,
Really started to pull my hair out.

Plugs always seemed fine, now theyre a little black, probably due to the bigger nozzles, playing around and trying to start it, partial flooding, etc. Other than plugs, I dont know what to do. Spark plug wires correct. Car motor chassis has lots of new good grounds.

Any tips, or has anyone gone through this?

Thanks
Myles

81 Malibu 355 9.5-1
Th350 5000 stall
4.56 spoil 28" slick
Holley mechanical 750hp
Stock nozzles back in, 28&32

Bat and fuel cell in trunk. All wiring and fuses test okay. Thanks!!

Last edited:

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Check for vacuum leaks.

Tc77

Apprentice
Sep 19, 2018
Plug wires, balancer, flat spot on cam . Timing jumped. Bad coil

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
If the vacuum is the same, that pretty much eliminates a sheared lobe.
I'd say balancer slipped.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor