HELP HELP ME PLEASE

Status
Not open for further replies.

feen804

n00b
May 8, 2007
Hay guys I am quite new to the forum and have some questions
I have a 1985 monte cl, and i want to replace the 4.3 fuel injected with the 305 v8 from the 1987 monte ls i wrecked. I have already taken the 305 out and sold the wrecked body of the 87.. I need to remove the engine in the 85 and drop in the 305.

Where can I find the body motor mounts for the 305???

How can i bypass all that computer stuff left behind in the 85??
Can this be done, if so how??
What else will have to change and how??
Will i need to cut the floor of the 85 to put in the 305 gear shifter, or can i just still use the one on the steering column?? And if so how??

Last one should I keep the 1985 front end, or swap it for the 1987 LS front end which i still have and love???

Thanks TO ALL that HElp :D

85t5mcss

Master Mechanic
Apr 24, 2006
Indy, IN
The engine will be a simple fix. Pull the V6 and drop in the V8. LOL.
OK, the V8 will fit with no mods other than the motor mounts that need changed. The motor mounts that bolt to the frame can be picked up at any parts store. Everything else from the 305 can be swapped over including the trans, accelerator cable (not sure if its different, I assume it is), brake booster vacuum line....and so on. The motor mounts will mount just like they do in the 85, just look at that for reference.
All the emissions can be junked if u don't have to pass emissions. U will need to plug the A.I.R. tubes on the maniflods and on the catalytic converter, replace carb and distributor with non CCC parts. U can get a 4 pin distributor cheap and carbs are easy, too. Reuse the larger radiator if its in good shape but the V accessories will be fine.

The hifter can be converted from the floor shift, but is a nuisance. U will have to cut the brackets off the floor and reweld into the new car. Along with the brackets that r on the trans. But the column shift will work just fine. the floor shift cars actually had both hooked up because of the shift indicator. So just dont hook up the floor shift cable and u will be all set.

Hopefully I was clear enough, but if not, we will continue to help.

I thought the doors were the same from SS, CL, SC, and LS. At least the body lines. I thought the only difference was the length of the fender on the LS being longer in front of the tire. Could be wrong though. Never really looked that close.

jerrycad472

Master Mechanic
Nov 11, 2006
Detroit, MI
yes, as long as you have the whole front clip you should be fine. The doors should line up with the fenders. 85T5MCSS is correct on the differences in the front fender and the installation of the V8. Its a pretty easy swap.

One point on the floor shifter, if both transmissions are 4spds you will be Okay. If one is a 3spd and one is a 4sd, it will work, however things will not line up correctly and you may be guessing what gear you are in.

85t5mcss

Master Mechanic
Apr 24, 2006
Indy, IN
jerrycad472 said:
One point on the floor shifter, if both transmissions are 4spds you will be Okay. If one is a 3spd and one is a 4sd, it will work, however things will not line up correctly and you may be guessing what gear you are in.
Not entirely true. The 4 speed cars just have a plate over the speedo to show overdrive. Remove the plate if putting a 3 speed in or add the plate if going from a 3 spd to a 4 spd. But a 3 and 4 speed floor shifter are different. A 3 speed floor shift cannot be used on a 4 speed or u will lose the capability of putting it in 1st gear.

ss4ever

Greasemonkey
Jan 4, 2006
Shelbina, Missouri
The front clip will line up but the chrome on the side will not(SC has the chrome at the bottom, LS has the chrome mounted up higher)

Everything else is spot on. Personally I prefer the SC nose on a mean car, just something different.

Randy

85MonteCarlo305

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 10, 2007
I just did this on my 1985 Monte Carlo and it was a breeze. It had the 4.3 but we ripped all the computer crap outta there and just put in a MSD set-up for ignition and went to a carbed 305. As for a transmission we went with a TH-350 and it'll mount right up with the stock TH-200-4R(the 4R's are newer than the R4 and they changed something inside em or something) crossmemeber. The drive shaft can be reused. We just got Moroso solid motor mounts off of www.jegs.com the have them right on there. I am gonna use mine for stricktly drag racing but it might see some street activity someday. If you have any more questions just let me know. You also need to change your fuel system around because a carb application doesn't need near the fuel pressure as fuel injection. So a new fuel pump and regulator is a must have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor