Status
Not open for further replies.

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
SBC 388 with 153 tooth flexplate.

Agreed, I only bother with Duralast Gold New components. Oddly many places want core charges for NEW as well as REMAN items.
I guess check into the one mentioned, or the one you were looking at. As long as correct for the flex plate you are using, and bolt holes are correct orientation, you should be fine.

I used the mini that comes on the Astro Van a couple of times in the past.

On header systems I also make up a quick disconnect for the wire going to the solenoid and if it has junction wires I remove those and make up junction block on the fire wall. But that's just me.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

tngbody

Greasemonkey
Sep 17, 2019
Sounds like a bad (Bendix) starter drive, replace the starter imho unless you wanted to rebuild it but that's up to you. Not worth the time/effort these days, if that's a standard SBC starter, they're so cheap and plenty types to choose from full size stock replacement, and multitudes of mini, aftermarket high torque ones. Unless this is a (very) high compression race engine, I would stick with an OEM style MINI starter that uses the nose cone (to support the drive gear pinion shaft) vs the aftermarket ones without but it's entirely up to you.

I like the ones from the mid 90's LT1 engines (ie; Buick Roadmaster..) and have one in my rig with 10.5:1 compression, and it's been great.

Shop around you can find them cheaper, but I'd stick with NEW vs REMAN but that's just me.

HTH

View attachment 205812
View attachment 205813
Does this bolt directly up without shims or anything? Mine seems to keep hitting the flywheel not allowing both mounting points to mate up with the block.

tngbody

Greasemonkey
Sep 17, 2019
Here are a few pics of what I'm working with. It appears that I have a high torque old starter and trying to replace with a mini. Also the original had staggered bolts, the new are in straight line. Do I have the wrong replacement?

Attachments

• IMG_20220909_170514.jpg
    IMG_20220909_170514.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 66
  • IMG_20220909_170225.jpg
    IMG_20220909_170225.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 71

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
I think mines currently a Remy, I usually go with ACDelco when available no reason other than decent brand name. It's a pretty big dice roll these days with starters, alternators, etc so much so that I've started just getting the Duralast Gold stuff from AZ for friends and family. Lifetime Warranty and simple to get replacement, no questions asked by phone number lookup. I've used the warranty a few times in past couple years and it was a breeze.
It was once Delco Remy which was the electric component mfg of GM like Rochester did carburation, Harrison cooling and HVAC components, Guide lighting.

• Agree

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
Bendix is easy to change if that is the issue. I tried blowing up the photo but it starts to blur out. The teeth show possible missalignment or starter not engaging deep enough.

On the bolt holes doesn't really matter if the nose is correct.

Try to line up the starters on a bench and look at each from the nose and see if they are the same. From the photo it appears as if they are not, but could be just the way they were photographed.

Also the flex plate shows teeth marks on the side mounted to the torque converter. Is it possible the flex plate mounted backwards?

First I would line up the starters make sure the nose on the mini duplicates the alignment as the older starter.

If not then the bendix is coming out but can't engage properly.

The next thing to look at is if the flex plate is the correct one. GM produced 2 different ones over the years, 153 tooth and 168 tooth.

383_StealthRam

Greasemonkey
Dec 29, 2016
Here are a few pics of what I'm working with. It appears that I have a high torque old starter and trying to replace with a mini. Also the original had staggered bolts, the new are in straight line. Do I have the wrong replacement?
Someone else may also be able to chime in and/or confirm. The mini starter I'm using with the non-staggered bolts is for the smaller 153 tooth flex plate.

I believe if you have a staggered bolt starter which is for the larger 168 tooth flex plate and the 153 tooth flex plate starter won't fit. You need to use a staggered bolt, 168 tooth (14") flex plate compatible (mini) starter. The only one I'm familiar with is the GM Perf Parts 12606096 one shown in screen shot below. The newer part number is 19302919 and it's not cheap so again you'll need to do some additional online research and shop around.

1662772863325.png

Reactions: 1 users

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
Someone else may also be able to chime in and/or confirm. The mini starter I'm using with the non-staggered bolts is for the smaller 153 tooth flex plate.

I believe if you have a staggered bolt starter which is for the larger 168 tooth flex plate and the 153 tooth flex plate starter won't fit. You need to use a staggered bolt, 168 tooth (14") flex plate compatible (mini) starter. The only one I'm familiar with is the GM Perf Parts 12606096 one shown in screen shot below. The newer part number is 19302919 and it's not cheap so again you'll need to do some additional online research and shop around.

View attachment 206533
That's excellent, I couldn't remember the diameter of the different flex plates.

But if the starter is for the wrong flex plate, it will not work.

I'm also not seeing the cup. On the bell housing there should be a cup that the starter needs to have room to engage. It could just be optical distortion of the current photo, but the trans bell housing has to have a cup that the starter needs for room to work. Sample of bell housing below.

Attachments

• $_62.jpeg
    $_62.jpeg
    7.2 KB · Views: 60

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
I'm running the staggered also.get one for a 1999 tahoe-5.7 that's the staggered small version you're looking for,available most part stores.worked on everything i've had to date.

Reactions: 3 users

383_StealthRam

Greasemonkey
Dec 29, 2016
That's excellent, I couldn't remember the diameter of the different flex plates.

But if the starter is for the wrong flex plate, it will not work.

I'm also not seeing the cup. On the bell housing there should be a cup that the starter needs to have room to engage. It could just be optical distortion of the current photo, but the trans bell housing has to have a cup that the starter needs for room to work. Sample of bell housing below.
Is that a stock bellhousing photo you pulled from the internet? That's not the same transmission type you show in your pics in prior post? You have older transmission bellhousing that isn't like this picture you posted, you're confusing some things here. Your pic shows a typical 700R4, 2004R, THM350, etc.. bellhousing with the slanted bottom that has a (usually) plastic cover that goes over the torque converter and flex plate.

1662774584949.png

The pic you've posted is more the later 4L60E and others where the bell housing wraps entirely around the torque converter & flex plate where you have to unbolt converter bolts through the starter nose cone opening.

• Agree

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
Sorry, don't mean to confuse... I think the photo was 4L60E, and its just meant to convey that on the bell housing you have to have the correct casting for the side that the starter is on.

You can't use a trans from a passenger side starter mount and mate it to an engine that has a driver side starter mount.

The OP is showing a trans with the single cast case and the torque converter cover is a separate bolt on.

In meantime... Found a pic of Chevy th350 which seems to coordinate with what he has, so he should be fine.

Like I said, because if the angle of the photo I wasn't seeing the cut out needed. Not trying to go down empty rabbit trails... It was just an observation and a question...

Attachments

• bellhousing_patterns_2.jpg
    bellhousing_patterns_2.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 63
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor