Help identify trim

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoFloG

Royal Smart Person
Mar 9, 2016
South Florida
Can somebody tell me what the heck these trim pieces on the top of the fenders are? I feel like I used to know. I had them on a Cadillac fleetwood years ago, and have noticed them on older luxury vehicles. Thanks

Attachments

• 20180922_223325.png
    20180922_223325.png
    765.7 KB · Views: 292

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Lamp monitors. Should also have them in the rear of the roof inside for the tails so you can monitor them from the rear view mirror.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Those should be for the fiber optic light monitoring system. They illuminate when the front lights come, showing which light is working. Should have a set for the rear light inside around the back window too.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
My 90 fleetwood brougham had them just dont think they worked. Im still not understanding their purpose lol

Their purpose is to be able to monitor whether or not you have a burnt out bulb in the system, and on which side. Because they work off of fibre optics, no lighty at the bulb equals no lighty at the fender or taillight indicator.
Because each side is separate and tied into each bulb or light housing, you can tell if you have a light not working in that spot.

For example, if one of the indicators doesn’t light up on the rear monitor, you know you have a taillight out. Keep in mind this was technology 30+ years ago, things have changed an awful lot since. At the time it was considered upscale, and usually found on higher end models like the nicer Oldsmobiles, Buicks, and of course Cadillacs.

Nowadays it’s more or less just a quaint little trivial option, but still interesting and somewhat rare nonetheless (especially if they still work). I have them on Olds Cool, and although the color of the front lenses has faded with time, they all still work. I plan on keeping them and restoring them back to their former glory.

Reactions: 6 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor