help me diagnose power window failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamon8

Greasemonkey
Jan 31, 2008
southern IL
I think its the power window motor and here is why

if I hook up a multimeter to the power window harness that plugs into the power window motor, I get power to the switch when I hit either of the power window switches. I get 12v one way and neg 12v the other direction. if I am getting power to the window motor and it is not operating then it has to be the power window motor right.

just wanting to get some clarification before I start ripping a power window motor out.

I dont like needlessly throwing parts at a car

thanks

marcar1993

G-Body Guru
Aug 31, 2007
New Jersey

gwhiz

Greasemonkey
Aug 21, 2012
have you pulled the connector at the window motor and hooked a jumper wire to it ? that will tell you if motor works or not .just a quick test just hit a hot wire to it if it works good if not make sure it is grounded and check contacts then try it again if after a few trys it dont move then its safe to say its no good.

GuysMonteSS

Royal Smart Person
May 21, 2011
Kentville,Nova Scotia,Canada

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
jamon8 said:
if I hook up a multimeter to the power window harness that plugs into the power window motor, I get power to the switch when I hit either of the power window switches. I get 12v one way and neg 12v the other direction. if I am getting power to the window motor and it is not operating then it has to be the power window motor right.

95% of the time you'd be right. But then I have seen a car give my 12 volts at the plug and there was nothing wrong with the motor. It ended up being a pinched wire in the door jam. It could show 12 volts but it couldn't get enough amperage through to operate the window motor. It's easy enough to run a jumper to it, like stated above, and that will help to tell you for sure.

85Supreme

Royal Smart Person
Aug 25, 2009
i just had to replace my pass side window motor in the GN not too long ago. We thought it was the switch at first since they both need to be working to move the window. I swapped a switch from the cutlass onto it and had no luck so figured it was the motor. Probably the same issue with you. Motor was $30 dollars at autozone.

jamon8

Greasemonkey
Jan 31, 2008
southern IL
today I went to drive the car and I got the window to go up almost all the way to the top. is it a sign that the motor is going bad if it wont roll the window all the way to the top.

if I do have some bad wiring in the door jamb how do I diagnose the amps that are getting to my window motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor