Help, metal in oil

Status
Not open for further replies.

383_GrandPrix

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2016
Quebec, Canada
So I finally broke in my engine, ran it for 20 minutes and now I'm doing the first oil change. I found almost no metal in the oil from the pan, and the normal super fine metal filings in the oil in the filter. What has me concerned is I pulled the pan and found some metal flakes at the bottom of the pan. They're silver in color and non magnetic.... do I have a bearing problem? Should I pull the main caps?

Bar50

Royal Smart Person
Jan 1, 2009
Tulsa, OK
This is after cam break-in?

If it's all new stuff and those are non-magnetic then I would guses they have to be from the pistons? But, if all else is well, like it has good oil pressure and such. Follow on with oil and filter change and go with it.

Did anything get painted silver?

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
I would not be real concerned, probably some left over gunk or self clearancing going on :) Just keep an eye on it. I make a habit to cut open the filters spring and fall myself to keep tabs on whats going on.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

383_GrandPrix

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2016
Quebec, Canada
The entire engine has been overhauled. Got it as a 350, now It's a fresh built 383 stroker motor with a roller cam. Everything is new inside. The engine had good oil pressure the entire time it ran.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Just keep checking it. Don't be afraid to pull the motor and check all the bearings. At least you have a SBC. On SBB the front cam bearing being starved, nicked, or anything can ruin the whole motor. Especially worrysome because of the front distributor.

383_GrandPrix

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2016
Quebec, Canada
Just keep checking it. Don't be afraid to pull the motor and check all the bearings. At least you have a SBC. On SBB the front cam bearing being starved, nicked, or anything can ruin the whole motor. Especially worrysome because of the front distributor.

I've seen your threads about your SBB, that really sucks.

The engine is on the stand with the pan off as I ran it on a home made engine crate. I guess it couldn't hurt to pull a couple main bearings just to be sure.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
If it is on a stand with the pan off I wouldn't hesitate for second to pull things apart to verify everything is ok.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

dotheshuffle

Apprentice
Dec 17, 2015
va beach
Unless it's a roller cam, I wouldn't worry about it. All new cams though, this is the reason you change the oil after the first few hundred miles.

^that would be true if it was magnetic. sorry all. I admit I was quick to answer this one. BBC has it right, pull the sucker apart.

Last edited:

406 Monte

Greasemonkey
Jul 1, 2016
Minnesota
You will have that with the normal break-in process. Ok I read the first post again a couple of times :doh: yes if there is more than the fine metal I would definitely look into it just to make sure there's no issues.

Last edited:

383_GrandPrix

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2016
Quebec, Canada
I just pulled the #2 main cap, this is what the bearing looks like
IMG_0086.JPG
IMG_0087.JPG

I don't see any scoring on the crank journal, but I can feel some of the scratches and some crap embedded when I run my finger across the bearing. I think it's ****ed :( I'll double check with a coworker who's rebuilt many motors.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor