HELP monte 305 no spark!

Status
Not open for further replies.

a.graham52

Greasemonkey
Oct 19, 2017
i have a customers car here, 87 monte carlo with a 305. all appears original with the exception of an electric pump and regulator.

car came in as a no start. verified spark present, not great but present. but wouldnt run when fuel was pored in carb. removed fuel from quad and pulled fuel sample. all looks ok. reinstalled fuel line and car started and ran for about 10 minutes. as i was installing air cleaner it quit and became a crank no start again. proceeded to remove cap and found distributor side terminals of ignition module extremely corroded and bridge with corrosion. cleaned terminals and also noticed that it looks like rotor button makes contact with cap. reinstalled ignition module knowing could be faulty. added grease to rotor button shaft and reinstalled button. lightly tapped down with screwdriver handle. reinstalled cap and rotor.

still crank/no start. verified no spark at cylinders 1 and 3. installed new ignition module knowing that it could have faulty with corrosion. crank/no start. still no spark at 1 and 3. checked spark between coil wire and cap. no spark. checked for spark between coil wire and cylinder 1 plug. spark is nice and bright and engine coughs when cranking. swapped cap and rotor with new. problem still present. im not an idiot but apparently i missed something that is causing spark to not go though cap and rotor. wtf?

Last edited:

a.graham52

Greasemonkey
Oct 19, 2017
still crank/no start. verified no spark at cylinders 1 and 3. installed new ignition module knowing that it could have faulty with corrosion. crank/no start. still no spark at 1 and 3. checked spark at coil wire @ cap. no spark. checked coil wire via cylinder 1 plug. spark is nice and bright and engine coughs when cranking. swapped cap and rotor with new. problem still present. im not an idiot but apparently i missed something that is causing spark to not go though cap and rotor. wtf?

new module, spark from coil when tester is attached between coil wire and cylinder 1 spark plug.

Reactions: 1 user

Kratos

Greasemonkey
Nov 7, 2017
Central Pa
Do you have a complete, known good, distributor sitting around that you could swap in for testing purposes? Sounds to me like th whole distributor might be worn out. start with cheapest, easiest solutions first

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
is the car still using the computer?. You say its' a customers car so do you do run a repair garage?

a.graham52

Greasemonkey
Oct 19, 2017
I work at a repair shop. anywho found the issue. the coil was cracked behind it so I wasn't able to see it without removal. new coil and it runs like a champ

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
I work at a repair shop. anywho found the issue. the coil was cracked behind it so I wasn't able to see it without removal. new coil and it runs like a champ
If it's an HEI, it should have been spotted during the cap switch....:whistle:

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor