Help Needed Installing 700R4 - Gap Between Converter and Flexplate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael Bennett

Greasemonkey
Jun 7, 2018
Hi Guys,

Throwing a 700R4 in the '80 Malibu so we can hopefully leave on Wed to hit the Indy and Fort Wayne stops on Power Tour. Replacing the TH350 behind the 400 small block Chevy. Everything seemed fine until I went to bolt the torque converter to the flex plate. I have a normal seeming gap between the two with the converter pushed all the way in, but with the converter toward the flexplate as far as it will go there is still an 1/8" ish gap. I can put the bolts in and tighten them up, but it just bends the flexplate. Should I pull the trans and see if something could be stopping the torque converter from going all the way into the crankshaft? I've never heard of this issue before. Could I have the wrong torque converter for my 400 somehow? It's the one the trans shop sold me and everything else seems right. It went into the trans the requisite 3 clunks. I read something about putting washers between the flexplate and torque converter but that seems sketchy to me.

Any ideas?

455'ed80Regal

Master Mechanic
Nov 3, 2010
Lincoln, MO
You want .080-.125 converter travel from fully seated against the pump. Shim with washers to take up the rest of the distance. Washers must be same thickness.

Last edited:

Michael Bennett

Greasemonkey
Jun 7, 2018
Okay, I have the proper travel, but then the converter doesn't touch the flexplate. It's normal to use washers to take up the void between the converter and flexplate?

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Okay, I have the proper travel, but then the converter doesn't touch the flexplate. It's normal to use washers to take up the void between the converter and flexplate?
You can use washers, but as mentioned make sure they are identical. I'd recommend SAE thru hardened washers as they are automotive grade with a smaller OD, and usually the thickness is spot on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor