HELP Help Needed With Cruise Control On Hurst/Olds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don M.

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 9, 2018
Halifax, NS, Can
I'm new to forum (first post) and need some help. Bought a 1984 Hurst/Olds about 6 months ago and slooowly getting everything up and running. The one thing that is driving me nuts is the cruise control. Oh it works - somewhat - but is constantly fluctuating. I can actually see the gas pedal going up and down as I drive, I CAN STOP IT BY VERY GENTLY LAYING MY FOOT ON THE PEDAL but of course if I put too much pressure on it I accerlerate . I have checked all the vacuum lines, replaced the check valve and adjusted the linkage as close as I can.

It's there I would like to use it, any ideas?

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
You probably need to clean the VSS on the back of the cluster next to where the speedo cable is. It works off FM as far as I know- couldn't tell you optical or electrical. My Bonne did the same thing, and that's what I was told to check. I saw the sensor when I ripped out the gauge cluster; I'm on a DBW computer now.

Reactions: 1 user

78chevolds

Greasemonkey
Jun 25, 2013
My 78 Camaro has cruise. I replaced the controller where the speedometer cable runs through it. Don't expect this cruise to be as smooth as the newer cars. You probably checked the vacuum modulator (not sure the exact name) to insure it has no cuts etc in it. When I have it on cruise it flucuates in speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor