HELP: Not the power level should have

Status
Not open for further replies.

70pontlemans

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 5, 2017
Need help from all you performance gurus. I recently installed a chevy 400 bored to a 406 and it doesn't seem to have the power it should. It wont even spin the tires. WHAT AM I missing? WHY DON'T i HAVE ANY POWER DOWN LOW? below are the specs.

406 stock bottom end around 9.5 comp ratio
Lunati street master cam 276/286 adv 221/230 @.050 454/454 lift lsa112 RPM Range 1000-5800
Vortec heads
RPM Intake
Street Avenger 670
MSD Billet Dizzy, MSD box, re-curve kit 16deg stop bushng with the lightest springs timing set at 35deg total all in by 2500rpm
th350 shift kit
2000-2200 torque converter
3:73 diff
tires 255/60/15
Car 1978 Cutlass salon 3450lb (about 200 miles since rebuild)
What am I missing, are my expectation to high?

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
That combo should smoke tires all day long. Just out of curiosity, what is the manifold vacuum at idle? If you give it a little more timing does it get better?

70pontlemans

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 5, 2017
That combo should smoke tires all day long. Just out of curiosity, what is the manifold vacuum at idle? If you give it a little more timing does it get better?

Around 15psi @750 rpm. Rght now timing is at 18-19 initial, how much more whould i be able to advance it?

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
I was more curious than anything else. That's probably plenty initial timing and that is decent vacuum. Maybe give it a couple more degrees just to see how it acts. I've had a couple engines that liked a lot of initial timing and were lazy without it. You can always limit total later.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Street Avenger 670
Is this the vacuum secondary version? If so maybe try dialing in the secondary with different springs for the diaphragm.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Something's wrong in your tune or cam timing or transmission.

Assuming that your transmission/TC combo are working as they should and whomever assembled the engine verified cam timing. FYI - that's anpretty healthy cam for your compression and TC. At what rpm can you stall to? And when driving in second gear at or around 2200-2500rpm's, where does the rpm jump to when you go to WOT? If it's not 3200+, then your converter needs to be retuned.

You mentioned initial is at 18-19, that is with the vac advance can unhooked and the line plugged correct? And what are the all in rpm and timing?

Edit : forgot to mention, that 670 carb is too small for a 350 or 383 let alone your 406. But it is not your issue until you see 5000 rpm's.

70pontlemans

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 5, 2017
Is this the vacuum secondary version? If so maybe try dialing in the secondary with different springs for the diaphragm.

I got the spring kit and installed the lightest second lights springs with only negligible results. I wonder if the 112lsa is effecting the low end,

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Maybe on a dyno you're giving something up. I'd think a wide angle like that would increase idle vacuum, thus improve carb responsiveness.
Was it just installed "straight up" or was a degree wheel used?

70pontlemans

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 5, 2017
Something's wrong in your tune or cam timing or transmission.

Assuming that your transmission/TC combo are working as they should and whomever assembled the engine verified cam timing. FYI - that's anpretty healthy cam for your compression and TC. At what rpm can you stall to? And when driving in second gear at or around 2200-2500rpm's, where does the rpm jump to when you go to WOT? If it's not 3200+, then your converter needs to be retuned.

You mentioned initial is at 18-19, that is with the vac advance can unhooked and the line plugged correct? And what are the all in rpm and timing?

Edit : forgot to mention, that 670 carb is too small for a 350 or 383 let alone your 406. But it is not your issue until you see 5000 rpm's.
The motor was assembled buy a machine shop, so at this point I can only hope it was done correctly. So, do you think the Tq converter needs to have a higher stall. It seems to stall right at 2400 using the break stall method, have not tried the aforementioned method. The Dizzy has no vacuum advance. total is all in @ 2500.

70pontlemans

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 5, 2017
Maybe on a dyno you're giving something up. I'd think a wide angle like that would increase idle vacuum, thus improve carb responsiveness.
Was it just installed "straight up" or was a degree wheel used?

It was done at the machine shop, of curse they claim it was installed according to the specs on the cam card.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor