Help picking out mufflers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenderbender

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 28, 2013
Northern Wisconsin
Hello all. I'm trying to get my new engine build ready to fire up and I'm having trouble picking out a set of mufflers. I've used mostly Flowmaster mufflers in the past, but I've been thinking about maybe trying something different. The engine is a fresh 383 with a roller cam, aluminum heads, roller rockers, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, Hooker full length headers and a Pypes X-pipe. So, that being said, please let me know what you like and why. Thanks a bunch!

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
I've always gone with Magnaflow. Theyre the least restrictive mufflers on the market,all stainless steel, and you can get them in oval or compact round shapes in a large variety of sizes. Plus they sound FANTASTIC

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
Whatever fits. Seriously, in the end they all sound good ( just different ) and only you can decide what sounds best.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
If it's a daily driver I would go with a chambered muffler. I had the magniflow straight through but after a few weeks I changed them to the magniflow chambered mufflers which are quieter and no drone

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I think once you figure out what body and overall length along with the pipe configuration you need to fit it will narrow your choices down and you can choose from there.

• Agree

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
The straight thru designs make the most HP but you can get a resonance that can drone you out of the car. The concept of the chambered designs is to reflect the resonance back into the wave to cancel some of it out.

When someone says a straight thru design "doesn't drone", it actually does drone, it just drones at an RPM/Speed the guy doesn't normally drive at. This makes them tricky to recommend because even with the exact same car, if somebody drives a lot at 45 mph and someone drives a lot at 70mph and the muffler drones at 47 mph, one of these guys is going to swear by it while the other swears at it.

• Agree
Reactions: 5 users

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
I went borla.they aren't the loudest mufflers but they sound nice.i was a three chamber flowmaster guy for years but when i built a bigger motor,used all mandrel bends and sprayed the car yellow i decided the car was gonna be even louder than before.plus i wanted something different than everyone else around here.i built the exhaust from 316 stainless and most of the stainless examples out there are 409, which isn't that nice.so the borla fit the bill at 304 grade.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
I used small generic turbo mufflers and hated the drone at 2000 RPM - cruising speed. I went with longer Walker OEM mufflers and found they helped a lot. I don't race so I saw no punishment in power levels.
17279.jpg

I want to see more info about building this wagon!

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I bought a full Walker 442 exhaust for my Regal and the factory muffler is so small I would have a hard time finding it in the aftermarket.

pontiac guy

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2016
Royse City, TX
I was running the Autozone cheapies on my El Camino. Best choice I could have made. Sounded great, "reasonably" priced. I mean really, $75+ for an "f"ing muffler. Its stamped steel and maybe a couple robotic welds. Costs next to nothing to make. I just cant spend that kind of money for a muffler. Maybe I'm just old, but I was happy with the Thrush Autozone cheapies (which were also too expensive IMO), plus they come with the cool woodpecker sticker!!! thats free HP man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor