help please !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jphillips

Greasemonkey
Mar 2, 2014
Church Hill, MD
I bought new weatherstripping for the elky about 8 years ago.I'm redoing the car put the gaskets on and the window seals don't seal.the windows make contact in some places and in others there is literally a gap. Any suggestions? Could these gaskets gone bad from sitting? I need help ASAP . I have 2 weeks to get her finished so I can take it to occur for fall cruise in. Thanks in advance.

jphillips

Greasemonkey
Mar 2, 2014
Church Hill, MD
20160918_213427.jpg

MollytheOldsmobile

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 15, 2013
Manassas,Va
I have done this job twice the last year. The first kit I got split on me so had to redo.
Even the new kits out of the box have issues.
Try using a small piece of rubber house behind the weather striping to push it out some.
You can soften the rubber by using silicon, couple a coats over some time will help it.
That is a big gape so it is worth checking the window adjustment as well.
Good Luck

Kwik_Cutty88

Royal Smart Person
Nov 22, 2011
Coastal North Carolina
You will have to adjust the window to change those gaps. I just finished this project a few weeks ago. I do have some tips...

1.) Make sure the door hinge pins and bushings are not worn out, and the door is adjusted properly. Are you door gaps all the way around consistent?

2.) The factory used a piece of butyl aka "dum-dum" to push the seal out in the very rear corner of the glass. It will fit better if you use some butyl to push the seal out in that area.

3.) Worn out window felts (if you look inside the door this is what the glass rides on. It helps to keep the glass from "flopping" when the window is up, and keeps it from rattling when the window is all the way down) will cause you to have to make more adjustments to the window to get them to fit right. You can adjust these little "felts" up and down to push the glass further in or out when the window is all the way up.

You will do a lot of opening and closing the doors, adjusting the windows over and over again to fit. Don't freak out when you get the windows adjusted right, then you try to roll the windows up with the door closed and they don't roll all the way up. The seals will start to accommodate the windows over time, and your windows will roll up with the door closed.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor