Help please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

85 El Co

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 9, 2020
San Francisco ca
Alright ... so my El Camino will not start! It’s an 85 4.3 v6. Never had any issues and on the way home it just died out. I thought it ran out of gas... nope. I changed the distributor cap, plug , and wires. Nope! I changed the ignition coil. Nope! I dropped the tank and changed the fuel pump, NOPE! New fuel filter too, NOPE! I was told it might be the ECM... I need some help. Also I don’t really know much about cars so it would help to explain a lil if anyone can help. Thank you!

pontiac guy

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2016
Royse City, TX
Air. Fuel. Spark. Thems the rules. You know you have air. So do you have spark? Do you have fuel supply? You changed the pump and dropped the tank. That's a lot of work. Stop just throwing time, parts, and labor and start at the beginning. We know air is available. Check for spark. If you have spark, check to see if you are getting fuel to the motor. Or do the fuel check first then check spark. Once you know what you don't have we can help you with where to look.

Reactions: 3 users

85 El Co

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 9, 2020
San Francisco ca
Air. Fuel. Spark. Thems the rules. You know you have air. So do you have spark? Do you have fuel supply? You changed the pump and dropped the tank. That's a lot of work. Stop just throwing time, parts, and labor and start at the beginning. We know air is available. Check for spark. If you have spark, check to see if you are getting fuel to the motor. Or do the fuel check first then check spark. Once you know what you don't have we can help you with where to look.

thank you! I’m not getting spark... a friend said it sounds like it might be my ECM... not sure. But I do have air and fuel. Just no spark

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
you changed the distributor cap, plug , wire and the ignition coil. and still no spark ....hense my guess in #2 post still stands.... :popcorn:

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

85 El Co

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 9, 2020
San Francisco ca
you changed the distributor cap, plug , wire and the ignition coil. and still no spark ....hense my guess in #2 post still stands.... :popcorn:
I did listen to that and It started right up after I replaced the the ignition module. Thank you so much!!!!! I do have another problem tho now... I’m getting smoke out of the exhaust pipes.... I was told it’s either old fuel or possible burn off from contaminants when I dropped the tank and changed the fuel pump or it’s oil burning on the pistons... it’s white smoke. Any thoughts or ideas

1320John$$$

G-Body Guru
Sep 18, 2019
Pennsylvania
I did listen to that and It started right up after I replaced the the ignition module. Thank you so much!!!!! I do have another problem tho now... I’m getting smoke out of the exhaust pipes.... I was told it’s either old fuel or possible burn off from contaminants when I dropped the tank and changed the fuel pump or it’s oil burning on the pistons... it’s white smoke. Any thoughts or ideas
White smoke thems Injenns

Reactions: 1 user

1320John$$$

G-Body Guru
Sep 18, 2019
Pennsylvania
So I was told either piston rings or gaskets
How long did you crank on it and dilute the oil with fuel to the point the rings can’t control it anymore have you change the oil it was still putting fuel in it when the spark wasn’t happening

85 El Co

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 9, 2020
San Francisco ca
How long did you crank on it and dilute the oil with fuel to the point the rings can’t control it anymore have you change the oil it was still putting fuel in it when the spark wasn’t happening
No I haven’t. I don’t know much at all about cars and I’m learning as I’m going. So basically what you are saying is it’s probably burning oil off the injectors, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor